PowerCON vs. PowerCON TRUE1?

Hello ControlBooth,

I am researching some new LEDs to recommend for my school, and the fixture I was looking at says it has "Neutrik powerCON TRUE1 Power In/Out." After looking at cabling options, I am a bit confused as to the differences between standard PowerCON and PowerCON TRUE1. Is it possible to use a standard PowerCON cable to connect to TRUE1 devices?

A bit of context as to why I'm asking: I am okay with purchasing PowerCON TRUE1 cables to interconnect fixtures, but I am having trouble finding Edison to TRUE1 adapters for the start of each run (I ideally need the ability to plug the start of each run into a "regular" outlet). I am able to source Edison to standard powerCON adapter cables, but I'm not finding any way to connect power to the start of a powerCON TRUE1 run.

Thanks for your help!

I've yet to receive a fixture with True1 connections that does not come with either a True1 to Edison adapter or True1 to bare end for you to install an Edison or other connector yourself. Everything from ADJ up to Clay Paky comes with this. Have you encountered a fixture that does not? I'd be interested to know, and from what brand.

Has anyone found out if the True1 and True1-TOP are intermateable?

Since this is a new thread and I've never used a True1 connector, only powercon which I love.
Whats the current status with the true1 scandal? Was there some adjustment made in current models that prevent the mis-mating?
I thought that after something that scary, the whole product would be discontinued.

So interesting.
I remember a highschool theatre I worked in that changed to twistlock from stagepin during a remodel because there was some study about kids inadvertently plugging pin in the wrong orientation in the dark.
I imagine this being an issue with exploding powered speakers or LEDs with the true1

Since this is a new thread and I've never used a True1 connector, only powercon which I love.
Whats the current status with the true1 scandal? Was there some adjustment made in current models that prevent the mis-mating?
I thought that after something that scary, the whole product would be discontinued.
At least one major electronics dealer lists the female True1 (original yellow) connector as discontinued. It looks like they are being replaced by the TOP version, which mates with the original True1. I haven't seen the TOP version so I don't know if they have made improvements to prevent mis-mating.
-Todd

I've yet to receive a fixture with True1 connections that does not come with either a True1 to Edison adapter or True1 to bare end for you to install an Edison or other connector yourself. Everything from ADJ up to Clay Paky comes with this. Have you encountered a fixture that does not? I'd be interested to know, and from what brand.
Vari*lite is shipping their new VL2600 fixtures with just a True1 female connector - no cable included, not even a bare end. They say it's the new standard...
-Todd

I was wondering about the price difference and at FullCompass, they no longer list the original True1 cable ends, just the True1-TOP.

At least one major electronics dealer lists the female True1 (original yellow) connector as discontinued. It looks like they are being replaced by the TOP version, which mates with the original True1. I haven't seen the TOP version so I don't know if they have made improvements to prevent mis-mating.
-Todd

It is still possible, but it certainly isn't easy when they are new.

Hello ControlBooth,

I am researching some new LEDs to recommend for my school, and the fixture I was looking at says it has "Neutrik powerCON TRUE1 Power In/Out." After looking at cabling options, I am a bit confused as to the differences between standard PowerCON and PowerCON TRUE1. Is it possible to use a standard PowerCON cable to connect to TRUE1 devices?

A bit of context as to why I'm asking: I am okay with purchasing PowerCON TRUE1 cables to interconnect fixtures, but I am having trouble finding Edison to TRUE1 adapters for the start of each run (I ideally need the ability to plug the start of each run into a "regular" outlet). I am able to source Edison to standard powerCON adapter cables, but I'm not finding any way to connect power to the start of a powerCON TRUE1 run.

Thanks for your help!
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/276601-lex-a5018-12-male-edison-to-female-powercon-true1-adapter

Prolly just the way you typed it in search.

It’s called True1 not powercon true 1.

No you can’t plug powercon into true1 they are different connectors.

Stick with one or the other and you should be fine.

Attachments

• CCA44E2C-B1CF-439F-AB85-65D431C2AF6D.jpeg
    CCA44E2C-B1CF-439F-AB85-65D431C2AF6D.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 135
That turns out not to be the case. :)

[ From the webpage Mike linked to ]
View attachment 23223

I realized that when someone rezzed this thread and I looked at my own link 😂😂😂. I retract and say that the technical term is powercon true 1 but the street name is just true 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back