Preferred brands of microphone cable, microphone storage bag and microphone stands?

Re: Preferred brands of microphone cable, microphone storage bag and microphone stand

I've never been much of a K&M fan, but I saw a little "dog & pony show" the other day and was impressed, especially by their top-end round-base stand - full perimeter rubber (no more wobbles!), heavy gauge tubing, and a very nice clutch. Not cheap, but the most impressed I've been with a stand (save for that $150 70's reissue thing - which I've not seen in the flesh).

Re: Preferred brands of microphone cable, microphone storage bag and microphone stand

I'm not a fan of Redco branded cable, but Redco Audio - Audio/Video Supplies and Accessories, Custom Cables and Panels, and more has great prices on cables, connectors, etc. Email them and ask for a quote with academic discount if you're working for a school--it's pretty decent. Also, they've updated their website since 1997, which seems to be the last time Audiopile updated their design and functionality.

Also also, as I'm doing some price comparisons, their connectors are much cheaper than Audiopile's. As an example:

Neutrik NC3MXX/NC3FXX:
Audiopile: $3.50/$4.00
Redco: $2.40/$2.64
Redco academic: $1.75/$2.00

As for bulk cable, Audiopile only sells EWI brand, so I can't really make a comparison there--Redco sells Gotham, Canare, Gepco, Mogami, and Redco brand cable.

YMMV, but on price or service, I would definitely recommend Redco over Audiopile.

In response to microphone bags and mic stands, I'll echo the above sentiments about a multi-mic hard case and K&M stands.

Last edited:

I'll second the recommendation for Redco. I buy all my install type cable from them for rack building, as well as many other various adapters and connectors. In the past I have found Markertek to have better pricing on Neutrik NC3MXX type connectors but my last order of about 100 connectors was from Redco. I don't remember exact pricing, but it was good enough to not place a separate order with Markertek.

I actually don't like Redco's new site, I feel it's actually more difficult to find a general product and now have to browse exclusively by brand. Before if I wanted install mic cable that's the link I would click and it would show me all the various manufacturers' products for a quick comparison. Now it's a lot of back and forth and remembering, or opening new tabs, or adding things to my cart to remove later... Or maybe I'm just stuck in 1997. :)

I have an excellent way to organize mic cables. I want to disclose that my husband and I make and market this product, but it really works. Most people buy a dozen at a time. For travel, they work best when used with a case as seen in the pics and video. www.reel_axe.com. Thanks.

I like monoprice cable in general, and especially their HDMI and computer cables. The cable part of their XLR is good (very thick jacket, and very flexible), however I really hate their connectors. I ended up chopping them off and replacing with Neutrik connectors.
My problem with monoprice.com cables is that you rarely know what you are getting beyond a general description. I'd rather start with known cable and connectors than guess and find out you have to replace the connectors or that the cables are difficult to repair.

CBI for cables, American made using the connectors of your choice.

Gator, SKB, Odyssey, etc., for mic cases is the way to go.

K & M for stands is first place but a close second is Ultimate Support.

I'm a dealer for all of the above as well.

I like the Ultimate stands, iI like ther Stackable weighted bases and tripod styles. I'm not a fan of their newer boom style or there "clever" US/EU microphone threaded ends.

I quite like Sweetwater.com's ProCo series of cables and connectors.

CBI for cables, American made using the connectors of your choice.

Gator, SKB, Odyssey, etc., for mic cases is the way to go.

K & M for stands is first place but a close second is Ultimate Support.

I'm a dealer for all of the above as well.
I agree with Bill, CBI, or Rapco. Both excellent US made cables with good connectors.

my suggestion - get something with:
1) braided shield - takes more abuse & better shielding from RF
2) Neutrik ends w/ solder cups & gold plated terminals - the standard for a reason, gold plated because silver tarnishes :^)

In the past I bought Proco MasterMike series w/ Neutrik silver plated contacts from Sam Ash. At some point Proco started using amphenol ends w/ IDC terminals & they were crap & died frequently. I think they're moving back to Neutrik.
In the meantime I went to Canare star quad from Markertek - $31 for 25' cable ain't bad (or you can get Markertek's house brand for cheaper).

I have some proco mastermike from 10 years ago. They still don't give me any problems, and if they did they'd be worth fixing instead of tossing.

One thing you'll see from well known cable mfgs is things like capacitance specifications, twist rates, etc. Definitely worth buying good stuff. even used!

Whirlwind stuff is decent also - apparently their ends are OEM from Neutrik with a longer nose that they can laser etch.

The A/V installer for our new worship center fulfilled the pre-made cable requirement with Whirlwind cables. They are easily the worst mic cables I have ever used. Sure Neutrik the connectors are great, and the cable jacket looks nice, but the cable coils absolutely terribly. I haven't cut into one to see what the makeup is, but almost every new cable we've used already has kinks in it. And this is with volunteers who have been trained to coil cable correctly. It's just horrible cable. I will never buy again. Ever.

While we are on the subject- the "right" way to coil a cable is over/under, I'm assuming that's what you mean. Don't paint whirlwind with too broad a brush- if you're going to present such a string opinion we deserve to know exactly which whirlwind cable you're opining about.

Agreed with the K&M stands. Easily the best but most expensive. Worth every penny unless you like fixing and throwing away mic stands. I too have some stackable ultimate weighted base straight stands.

Mic boxes can be found from gator, SKB, audiopile, etc. I like ones that have a compartment I can put hardware or DIs in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back