Preferred screwhead type?

Preferred screwhead drive type?

• Total voters
Wow that's really interesting gafftaper. I can say the same is happening, to a lesser extent, in the Midwest, with newer local chains and many small "micro-brewery" coffee shops. NO lingerie yet tho.

To sk8rsdad:

Absolutely. I was under the impression that all visitors to Canada from the US (of any age) were given a complimentary #2 Robertson driver and a Tim Hortons travel mug. Is this not happening any more? What the heck are my tax dollars paying for ?!?!?

Your countrymen, not mine :p
Guess I'll have to hit up Canadian Tire next time I'm south of the border.

On another point, ship asked:
How many multi-tools come with slotted, Phillips and PoziDrive plus Robertson drivers on them????
Well, if you use any SOG tools, you can swap in the Robertson Drive

And for the Leatherman's with the bit adapter (Wave, Surge, Charge's) you can get the Leatherman Bit Kit with Robertson #1, 2 & 3.

If you go to a hardware store in the US (HD, or Lowes or Sears) and buy a "basic" set of screwdrivers (a small set, 4 to 8), you'll get a few slotted screwdrivers and few phillips screwdrivers.

In Canada, what does a "basic" set include?

Joe

Probably looking at 2 Robbies, a Phillips and a slotted in a set of four; 3 Robbies, 3 Phillips, 2 slot in a set of eight.

Here you go...

A basic 6 piece screwdriver set from Canadian Tire
2 Robertson, 2 Phillips, 2 slotted

A basic 9 piece screwdriver set from Home Depot in the U.S.
4 phillips, 4 slotted, one stupid key chain combo to throw away

To take it a little further: Home Depot lists 117 products under Screwdrivers. If you put on the "square" filter you find two products, a single #1 and a single #2... both of which are currently on a half price special!

May I also add that slotted screws are often the bane of my existence. And how many cheap lighting fixtures I've had to hang had slotted screws on the internal components.
In Canada almost any electrical contact screw uses a Robertson! SO NICE!

I just keep extra screws in my pouch, throw away the slotted screws and replace them with Robertson heads!
The last electrician I worked for however caught me and yelled at me for that, something about costing him more money.... Then I figured out how much time I saved by using the Robertson screws, gave that a dollar figure and compared that to the, what $0.05 for the screws... He shut up pretty quickly then...

If at least of nothing else in me constantly using my square drive to drive ground screws home on a block of them, can Pozi-Drive hate be assured? Different tip assured to strip with a Phillips screw driver in sending it home. Just finished installing some home center grade (same types from a lumber yard) drawer glide for my silverwear cabinet. Didn't have such a tip at home, this much less in the screws provided, their heads were larger than the countersunk holes and I had to grind off the heads flush once sunk so as to make the drawer glide instead of stop and chip away at the caster each time such a screw hit it.

This much less I really dislike the multi-drive head screws esepcially on electrical stuff. Got the square, the slotted and the phillips drive combined into one screw head. Means not enough metal on the head of the screw to properly drive it. Two types of drive was bad enough, three if not also Pozidrive is really not able to tighten - this short of using the slotted or square drive drivers at best. Forget if Leviton or Hubbell rep. was asking me about such muti-drive screws at one point... don't think such advice I gave took root. Just as ETC and CM do a EU verses US version of their products, should be easy enough to produce a product for a market given the most common tool used market.

Worst of any type of screw in my opinion is the multi-drive screw, this followed or included with the PoziDrive tipped if not multi-tip Pozi screw. Curse them tick marks and different tip angle in driving. Don't even work as well in driving, why is such a driver style on the market?

Last edited:
I will certainly agree with you that those multi-drive screws are evil. They strip instantly. I find you just have to bit the bullet and use a slotted driver. No time saving or convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back