Preserving Mics

Brenden Friedel

What methods do yall use to keep the 4 pin mini xlr cable at the connection point from breaking? Ive heard stuff about Mic Lube but that's it.

I'll take a shot at this, I guess. I keep all my stuff in cases inside of cases for road travel and transportation. While I try to protect things as well as possible out of the case - the inevitable truth is that microphones will fail eventually regardless of how well you take care of them if they see any type of usage at all. That's my general rule for most of my gear. In my infant years in the industry, I built a few fragile breakout snakes - and wouldn't let anyone touch them because i was worried of something breaking. I started building my stuff stronger when I lost control over 100% of my stuff 100% of the time.

Specifically regarding those mini-XLRs (or similar), my honest suggestion is treat them with care, try to educate users not to kink/bend them, store them properly, and expect them to fail at the last opportune time (and have a spare). Years ago I was always renting B3s, and I just expected them to fail - the rental shop always gave me a couple spares. I took advantage of that on the first show ("I'll use all these and those suckers won't know) and never again. Things will fail, it's not a matter of if, it's when.

The best solution is to educate users not to wrap the cable around the belt pack when they take the mic off. Doing so puts strain on the TINY wires right at the connector strain relief every time. Flex them enough times in the same spot, and they will break. Wrapped in a loose coil is the best way to store the mic.

On the bright side, the broken wire is predictable and repairable. Take the connector apart, chop an inch off the cable and solder it back together. Been there, done that.

The best solution is to educate users not to wrap the cable around the belt pack when they take the mic off. Doing so puts strain on the TINY wires right at the connector strain relief every time. Flex them enough times in the same spot, and they will break. Wrapped in a loose coil is the best way to store the mic.

On the bright side, the broken wire is predictable and repairable. Take the connector apart, chop an inch off the cable and solder it back together. Been there, done that.

If they're owned microphones, I've had luck with adding some heat shrink or better - Hellerman Sleeves - to that special fragile part of the wire to help alleviate some of the strain. I also put strain reliefs in the cable before handing them out, and usually put removal-deterrents on them with some gaff tape.

If they're being worn under costumes, I strong recommend use of a pouch like those from wirelessmicbelts.com - they velcro closure at the top serves to reinforce and protect both the mic and antenna connections. Also helps keep the antenna from coiling back and causing drop-outs.

Perhaps I'm not thinking the right connector, but the TA4F on the Shure series doesn't normally give us problems at the connector. When we have problems with either our Countryman E6's or DPA DFine cables, it's normally been a break mid cable. I would echo FMEng and instruct the users to NEVER wrap the cable around the beltpack. On that topic, I do prefer the thicker 2mm cable to the 1mm cable, I find they get less tangled and they seem to last a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back