Presonus Studio LIve 24.4.2 noise issue

MRW Lights

Alright hive mind here's looking for some confirmation on a suspected issue with a 24.4.2 -

Every input on the console is giving noise at roughly the same level in various patterns and frequencies with or without anything plugged in to the channel. I can put signal on top of the signal, but the original sound remains underneath and the signal is distorted. Can anyone confirm my suspicions of a bad/going PCB board?

Or the possibility that this console has transcended universes and is trying to communicate to other worldly beings?

I've heard of oddities happening with the Presonus boards including noise and silence -- mind you I've only experienced anything going silent on any of their boards once myself and it was fixed with a reboot (and we have one at my dayjob that we bought used and have never seen an issue with).
Is this board left on? If so, have you tried rebooting it? Have you tried backing up everything and resetting it to defaults? Have you tried updating the firmware?

It is left on :neutral: as part of a radio station in a university. Even though it's not necessarily running 24/7 it's at the ready 24/7 with signal looping through. I tried rebooting and switching power sources and cables. Surprisingly this is an OG 24.4.2 and it's uncertain if we have anything that can run fireware 400 to update the firmware, but we're checking the closets in the basement :shock:

I suggest you call Presonus. They may take a couple of days to get back with you but eventually they will.

That said, has there been RF work done at the radio station? Or do they need some serious RF work they're deferring? This sounds like RF getting into the i/o circuits.

I suggest you call Presonus. They may take a couple of days to get back with you but eventually they will.

That said, has there been RF work done at the radio station? Or do they need some serious RF work they're deferring? This sounds like RF getting into the i/o circuits.

Waited on hold for a little over an hour the other day and submitted an email to them... we'll see.

We're okay RF wise, the transmitter is far removed from the studio. The issue persists with or without any I/O. Which narrowed it to the console.

Open it up and "exercise" all of the internal connections.
Or open the dumpster lid and toss it in. Presonus should have stuck to making interfaces and clever digi-tools.

I think the gators are smart enough to not bite... but I'm not gonna get close enough find out.

Or they'll just replace the switching power supply, which is faster than changing capacitors.

This is the expectation, I almost pulled the trigger to give it a go myself, but in an academic environment it's still easier to get money for I can definitely have it fixed opposed to... all of my professional experience and electrical engineering skill tells me this is the problem and if I replace this part it should fix it... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back