PreSonus Studio Live 32

Doowop63

Anyone using this board in a small theatre setting? We have a 400 seat theatre and are looking to upgrade a Behringer analog board that is losing some channels.

Last edited:
We have not had good luck with our Behringer analog. Losing channels. While I understand you can meter each channel our sound guy is very visual as well as auditory lol. He like to be able to “see” all the levels simultaneously

Yes, the PreSonus StudioLive AI series has meters on every channel, it is the older series however. For my purposes, it works perfectly with my FOH RML32AI mixer. No need for the x32

Here's hoping the new Presonus consoles are better than the first 2 generations...

To my memory the last affordable digital console to offer an optional meter bridge was the Yamaha M7. I'm an old analog guy so when we purchased our M7s we ordered the meter bridges. And as an analog Luddite I expected to refer to them much more than I have over the years. New digital mixers usually have a "meters" page or sceen and I sometimes use it but mostly during setups and sound checks, seldom (if at all) during a show unless a problem pops up.

Long way of saying "if you don't see the option touted on the mixer's web page, it doesn't exist."

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

We have not had good luck with our Behringer analog. Losing channels. While I understand you can meter each channel our sound guy is very visual as well as auditory lol. He like to be able to “see” all the levels simultaneously

Ya, thats something he will have to let go of. You get a 5-6 LED meter on each channel. That is enough to see what has good signal and what is clipping. Because digital doesn't really have the channel strip like analog being able to tell what is going on with a meter bridge can be rather hard.

Also, the X32 is unlike anything Behringer made before it. Forget the old race to the bottom analog stuff they used to make compared to this desk. I have an X32 with 5 years of service on it and its never seen the shop. I know bands who are touring with them that are going on years with them as well.

The theatre I work with recently upgraded from an absolutely terrible 90s-era Peavey analog board that didn't contain mute buttons and had channels dying out left and right to a brand new Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III mixer. I don't think that the community or the theatre realizes it quite yet, but it has made a big difference in sound quality and it has eliminated most of my headaches that came with running a dilapidated board and tons of barely functioning Peavey rack units.

I recommended the StudioLive to them just because it was one of a handful of boards that fit their budget, and I have a lot of experience using the previous generation of StudioLive mixers (which are much less sophisticated than the new generation).

I just finished running sound for a kids show with around 11 wireless mics, and the workflow was pretty streamlined. Using the meters on the board (and DB attenuation on the transmitter packs), I was able to properly set gain during the first dress rehearsal, and I never experienced any problems with clipping or weak signal through the rest of the run. The handful of LEDs on each channel strip was just enough to help me visualize what was going on. If I thought anything strange was happening - I selected the channel, and I was able to see the channel displayed on the larger LED meter.
The EQ took a little while to get used to - but once I got the hang of it, I was able to get everything sounding even without any feedback issues.

If you've dealt with the StudioLive mixers - then you know what you're in for.
If you haven't, I strongly recommend you and your sound engineer read over the manual on the Presonus website. It's a lot to take in, but once I read it, the layout of the board became 100% clear to me. I also recommend checking out YouTube tutorials for the board (though, most of the ones you find will be the older generation models).

I will also say the Behringer X32 is very good as well. I've used one in a Rush cover band before, and a number of schools in my area have begun using it.
I also know a few theatres using the newer Soundcraft digital mixers. They're in a similar price range - but from my understanding, they have great built-in effects made by Lexicon, DBX, etc...

I'm only more partial to Presonus, just because I've used their products a lot in the past.

Connect the console (preferably X32 - not the Producer though) to a cheap computer and pull up the Meters page in X32 Edit. Better than anything you'll find on an affordable surface. It shows channel levels, gate activity, and compressor activity. And you can simultaneously do other things in Edit.

I have a friend who uses a couple of tablets for that purpose. He's gotall of the information he could want right in front of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back