Pro Intercom

Ben Kent

Hi,
We're looking at replacing our aging clear-com beltpacks and headsets. I am looking into replacing the clear-com equipment with pro-intercom and wondered if anyone has any experience with this equipment. How reliable and durable is it? Will it play well with our clear-com base stations?

It looks very similar to the intercom equipment I used when I lived in the UK (I believe that was tech-pro). Those units were built like a tank, so if it is based on the design of that system, it is probably good?

Thanks for your help!

Ben Kent
Master Electrician, Ted Mann Concert Hall, University of Minnesota

The beltpacks are Tan. They're nearly 30 years old, so I'm assuming they're 500's. The reason for replacing them is that they are old and unreliable. Some are completely broken. There is nothing wrong with the base stations so we just need to replace the belt packs.

The pro intercom stuff is fine. We have a couple of BP1's and they're built like tanks. The only thing I don't like is that the mic button locks on when you push it. Not a big deal for someone that's used to it. But if you have people from outside the venue using them it tends to lead to a lot of mics getting left open.

The pro intercom stuff is fine. We have a couple of BP1's and they're built like tanks. The only thing I don't like is that the mic button locks on when you push it. Not a big deal for someone that's used to it. But if you have people from outside the venue using them it tends to lead to a lot of mics getting left open.
If you open up the belt packs, you can actually remove the pin that locks the mic in place so it's straight push-to-talk. For my students, I keep the deck coms PTT and the booth coms locking. (Oh-then I tape the pin to the inside of the cover so I don't lose it!)

I actually prefer the BP1s over the Clearcom models. That said, that opinion was formed before Clearcom released the 700 series, which I like as much as the BP1s. Clearcom's newer base stations seem more robust than the older tan models too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back