Pro Legit Lighting Swag

ZDurler88

Has anyone noticed if any pro lighting companies are selling shirts or giving them out for free recently or does it pretty much come down to you having to buy something from them to receive swag? I am aware that there are custom shirts made by various shirt producers, but I'm talking strictly brands like Vari-lite, ETC, Strand, High End, Vincent Lighting Systems, Northern Sound and Light, etc.

Never heard of any of these companies selling swag. All of those companies tend to give out shirts at trade shows, usually in back room show rooms or at sessions devoted to their products. I know of a few companies that will throw in some swag with a large order. Many dealers will have shirts to give out as well. I once made a comment to a strand dealer who was LD for a show I was working on that I had never seen a strand swag shirt, 3 weeks later I had a box of 6 sitting in my office.

...Finally... swag comes with time. If you really want to start accumulating shirts, go start over hiring with the local union (that is if you like XL shirts that sometimes come in various annoying colors and occasionaly have large corporate logos).

Or you can just start buying here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kw=local+crew+shirt&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Guess there is an aftermarket in this arena.

I know that ETC has a swag store in their factory that visitors can buy merchandise from. They also had a small one set up at their 'CUE' event. But I'm pretty sure you have to go to the factory to be able to purchase anything from their store, no online or phone orders....

If you really want to start accumulating shirts, go start over hiring with the local union (that is if you like XL shirts that sometimes come in various annoying colors and occasionaly have large corporate logos).

Once, just once, I would like a gig shirt that I don't have to cut up in order to wear in public. The number of badass gig shirts that have been relegated to sleep shirts is just depressing.

It ain't swag if your paying for it. Then its just a shirt you paid for making you a corporate billboard that they don't have to pay for.

It's souvenir shop for the folks who visit ETC for a day or two, and want something to take home.....Wishing it was a console, fixtures, or Dimmers. :grin:

That's just how cool ETC really is...They have a souvenir shop!!!!! Try getting that same type merchandise from Strand.....It ain't happening....;)

If you want swag from a company I suggest taking enough of their gear on a high enough profile tour that a company rep will skip out of work for a day to come hang out at the venue.

swag from strand? HA! I can't even get parts from strand.

THAT, my friend, is what eBay is for.
Picked myself up a GORGEOUS Strand Lighting (Pre-Genlyte Byout, likely Mid-90's by the logo) Denim Jacket last year from a clothing seller (???) in Calgary... It was perfectly sized... Almost like it was made for me.

Also, attending a Light Palette Master Class a few years ago taught by Bobby Harrell, I picked up more "Strand Lighting - A Genlyte Company" Mouse Pads than I knew what to do with. My Stage Manager other-half even carries one around with her laptop for crying out loud.
It was just after the Philips buyout, and the one dealer who was their had brought them, and was cheerfully telling us: "Take one, take five, we can't use 'em anymore!"

As for parts... I'm not convinced Dallas even has much in the way of semi-old parts... A lot of dealers saw what was going on and ordered just about everything they could... Try your local supply network... Or, start hounding other houses that go ETC, and offer to take their old Strand stock... It's worked like a charm for me so far.

As for parts... I'm not convinced Dallas even has much in the way of semi-old parts... A lot of dealers saw what was going on and ordered just about everything they could... Try your local supply network... Or, start hounding other houses that go ETC, and offer to take their old Strand stock... It's worked like a charm for me so far.

I have about 130 Strand/Century 6k and 12k dimmers installed in 1978 that we can still get parts. Granted, the company with the service contract has been hoarding them for the last 10 years. However, with just about anything your best bet is to call Litetrol or Lightparts first, then call the major US vendors like Vincent or Grandstage.

Wow, this thread started out asking about Swag and ended up talking about getting parts from Stand Lighting concerning products that are over 3 decades old, of which is older than many of the other manufacturer's even list in this thread. Strand Lighting does offer swag. if you have been at the past number of trade shows the Strand Lighting booth was riddled with it, thousands of T's, hats, and button downs. It is Swag it is suppose to be free, it is something that we use a as a thankyou. Also if you attended this years LDI in Orlando not only was Strand Lighting giving out Swag and lots of it but was giving away Ipads. If you are looking for Strand Swag I would suggest contacting the Strand Lighting Marketing Manager who will be able to help you build your wardrobe.

Get to know people at these companies. Attend their workshops, visit their open houses and road shows. Stop by their booths at festivals and trade shows. That's where we give the bulk of our swag away. If you work part-time in one of our shops, you're also likely to get a t-shirt or two.

You might be able to get free stuff by becoming a FB fan or following on Twitter. Although sometimes, it just takes a nice note to the Marketing Director and perhaps, signing up to be on the email list. ;)

zdurler88, PM or contact me off-list and we'll send something your way.

-Kim

I sent a note to one company and made a product comment and they sent me a shirt.

I sent a note to one company and made a product comment and they sent me a shirt.

Yeah. I actually just emailed High End nicely and mentioned that we use some of their equipment and they were more than happy to send a couple shirts. I don't have a problem promoting their products with a shirt that I like because it lets you know what I'm into. Lighting Design 8)

I should actually be getting a shirt in the next day or so from ETC just because I had a simple conversation with someone the other day about a couple of products and the next thing I know I'm being told I should be getting a shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back