Pro Legit Lighting Swag

Has anyone noticed if any pro lighting companies are selling shirts or giving them out for free recently or does it pretty much come down to you having to buy something from them to receive swag? I am aware that there are custom shirts made by various shirt producers, but I'm talking strictly brands like Vari-lite, ETC, Strand, High End, Vincent Lighting Systems, Northern Sound and Light, etc.

I think it is all about being in the right spot at the right time.
Sometimes you can ask. I was walking outside the stage on the Sony lot, saw a vendor(movie glass) and said "Hi, have any shirts?" Not really expecting him to.
He replied, "Sure, what size?", reached behind his seat and pulled out a shirt!
The only entertainment swag I've paid for are Local 728 Tees.

I sure noticed the raffle swag they gave out at a recent Desire Demo in Hollywood.
I won a S4 Par! It is a great work light for my Ion.
Come to think of it, I didn't get a tee with my latest Ion I bought... Aw well. ETC is very giving, I'd mention some of the ways, but I fear that some working there might get in trouble! Ha! I'm a customer for life.

Bottom line: Get it free at work, trade seminars, trade shows, product training.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed if any pro lighting companies are selling shirts or giving them out for free recently or does it pretty much come down to you having to buy something from them to receive swag? I am aware that there are custom shirts made by various shirt producers, but I'm talking strictly brands like Vari-lite, ETC, Strand, High End, Vincent Lighting Systems, Northern Sound and Light, etc.
I have lots of Seachanger lights the plasma style for sale, I don't know their working condition, they may need repair.

As much as we all like to get swag at a tradeshow or as a gift with a decent purchase, no swag is truly free. Someone is going to pay for it in higher cost of goods sold, plain and simple.
I personally would prefer more affordable gear than footing the bill for branded clothing, bobbles & trinkets, etc., but that's just me...

As much as we all like to get swag at a tradeshow or as a gift with a decent purchase, no swag is truly free. Someone is going to pay for it in higher cost of goods sold, plain and simple.
I personally would prefer more affordable gear than footing the bill for branded clothing, bobbles & trinkets, etc., but that's just me...

But but but muh Apollo gum

Sure. Why advertise at all and get rid of marketing. Needless expense.

watch social media for contests.....a lot of companies will run swag contests if you take pictures with their gear/give them stories/share something about their new product/etc

also trade shows, I know we give out shirts at LDI when we do our training classes, and a few other events

alternatively place a big order and I'm sure you can get a tshirt! haha

Sure. Why advertise at all and get rid of marketing. Needless expense.

Notice Bill that I said 'Personally'. Marketing is marketing plain and simple, let's not get carried away-

Notice Bill that I said 'Personally'. Marketing is marketing plain and simple, let's not get carried away-
It was mostly in jest but swag is just a part of the marketing plan, and probably a very small percentage. One full page ad in an industry periodical buys an awful lot of swag. I just always like to look at the whole picture, and not focus too narrowly on one part.

I agree. And with marketing budgets being what they are, too many tradeshows, magazines, visits, t-shirts etc., continue to compete for those dollars.

Apollo leather jackets, denim jackets, shirts, hats, and other items have been sent as 'thank yous' over the years out of genuine gratitude.
Unfortunately the discussion regarding free swag (let's not even include 'demos from manufacturers instead of actual rentals' ) gets a bit old.

To bring this full circle, I personally appreciate good quality products at competitive prices and don't really want to 'pick up the tab' for someone else's extensive swag collection. :)

I would love to buy an Apollo or [insert vendor here] tshirt or jacket, just most of them never seem to have them for sale or even on a site like spreadshirt!
//Riley

Reactions: Les
Swag varies. I think flashlights and such with the company's name - maybe a dollar or two. Leather jackets? Not that I'm a leather kind of guy but what in the world do you have to do to be given a leather jacket?

The thing about swag is volume rules. I was about two days after deciding to go out on my own over ten years ago, was planning to be at an event and offered an opportunity to have swag items in a bag giveaway to all participants. I won't go into details but decided on a bottle opener with logo - never found what I really wanted but settled. Needed a hundred - somewhere around $200. Want 500? Only another $100. Want a thousand. Sure, for another $100 I can have a thousand. That was my one supply side encounter with swag.

Need some bottle openers anyone?

I agree. And with marketing budgets being what they are, too many tradeshows, magazines, visits, t-shirts etc., continue to compete for those dollars.

Apollo leather jackets, denim jackets, shirts, hats, and other items have been sent as 'thank yous' over the years out of genuine gratitude.
Unfortunately the discussion regarding free swag (let's not even include 'demos from manufacturers instead of actual rentals' ) gets a bit old.

To bring this full circle, I personally appreciate good quality products at competitive prices and don't really want to 'pick up the tab' for someone else's extensive swag collection. :)

This also feels like a good time to remind everyone that those gel swatch books everyone loves aren't free to manufacture either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back