Problem with Cues - Leviton Innovator

I am the lighting technician at a school but was not taught by anyone how to use the board and I have a problem with cues. I use a leviton innovator 48/96. I will record a cue that is let's say, full wash out. Then followed by a blackout. When I go from full to black out the lights stay on at about 10% and it's not a full black out. Does anyone know why this is?? Thank you!!

I am the lighting technician at a school but was not taught by anyone how to use the board and I have a problem with cues. I use a leviton innovator 48/96. I will record a cue that is let's say, full wash out. Then followed by a blackout. When I go from full to black out the lights stay on at about 10% and it's not a full black out. Does anyone know why this is?? Thank you!!
@Andrew clark Hi Andrew; I don't know your specific board but I'll suggest a few thoughts while you're waiting for an Innovator expert to come along. Boards record in several ways, here are some possibilities:
Some boards record the level of every channel every time. This eats memory which used to be expensive.
Some board record only levels which have changed since the previous cue. Different manufacturers refer to this by different terms.
Another thing to realize is the difference between recording a level of zero Vs. recording no level. Some manufacturers indicate the difference between the number zero and the letter O by using different colors.
If a board records in a format commonly referred to as "tracking", recording a zero will force a channel to a level of zero.
Recording nothing for a channel in a cue MAY appear as a letter O on the screen, or MAY appear as no instruction. Either way, no instruction results in no (zero) change. Not necessarily no level but NO INSTRUCTION thus zero change with the channel "tracking" through at whatever level it was last instructed. Many folks get caught by this when they find LXQ's which were previously known to be blackouts now have levels tracking through them.
This results as follows: There were a quantity of channels lit when the blackout was recorded. When the operatpr hit record, the board only recorded zero's for the channels which were lit at the moment of recording. If during subsequent rehearsals changes were made to channels which were not lit when the blackout Q was last recorded, those channels will "track" through the blackout with zero change since no changes were recorded for those channels when the blackout Q was recorded.
The next thing to learn is the difference between recording a blackout and recording a blocking blackout.
Often, when recording a blackout Q, the board will only record levels of zero for channels which were active a some level above zero at the moment of recording.
When recording a blocking blackout, you force the board to record levels of zero for all channels, whether they were previously active or not. Thus the blocking blackout has a level of zero recorded for all channels meaning no channels can track through the blocking blackout.
Similar to blocking blackouts are blocking Q's. Same idea. Recording a blocking Q will force the board to record levels for ALL channels. Channels with levels will have their levels recorded. Inactive channels will have levels of zero recorded to prevent levels from other cues from tracking through the cue regardless of whether it's a blackout or otherwise.
I hope this gives you a little insight as to possibilities and optimistically an Innovator expert will roll along shortly if they haven'[t already while I've been typing.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
Is everything black when you goto record the black out?

Did you try to record the BO to fast while the board was still fading out.

Did you have a Submaster up when you recorded the blackout?

Things to try is to load up your wash cue and re-record the wash cue and then goto said cue and 0 out all the channels then record it again.

Here is the manual of you don’t already have it.

https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/MC_2448_User_Guide.pdf

If you still can’t figure it out take some pictures of the screens and we can go from there.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you for your support. Here is a video of what happened.

Looks like tracking. Why it’s holding at 30 is a good question.

Look through the manual and find out what colors go with what channels. I won’t do that for you and it’s good to know your channel colors.

To fix this instead of just pulling down the fader do 1 they whatever @ 0 and record it.

If that doesn’t work than you have to figure out what purple means.

So today I called the company tech support for the maker of the board. They also have not heard of this before. The guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Not just reading off of a script or something. He gave me some options to try such as checking the entire system for a device that limits the control of the board, check if the battery is seated, and factory resetting the board. Unfortunately, theses are most of the things that I have already done. I will stay updated but right now it is looking like a hardware problem and not a software. I am going to check and see what OS version the board is running and if it is not up to date I will be updating it. So far no progress has been made.

I tried to set the channel levels to 2 instead of off and the channels stopped at 32.
I also tried to put two blackout cues back to back and see if that would work. Nope, still stays at 30%.

What colors are your channels you never answered that.

So today I called the company tech support for the maker of the board. They also have not heard of this before. The guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Not just reading off of a script or something. He gave me some options to try such as checking the entire system for a device that limits the control of the board, check if the battery is seated, and factory resetting the board. Unfortunately, theses are most of the things that I have already done. I will stay updated but right now it is looking like a hardware problem and not a software. I am going to check and see what OS version the board is running and if it is not up to date I will be updating it. So far no progress has been made.

I tried to set the channel levels to 2 instead of off and the channels stopped at 32.
I also tried to put two blackout cues back to back and see if that would work. Nope, still stays at 30%.

Per RonHebbard's explanation of tracking, see page 89 of the manual. You might try to record a cue/blackout sequence using "Cleanup Mode" on page 92 which disables tracking mode. I noticed there is an architectural panel on the wall above the console and all of the faders are up. Does this also control your stage lights, and if so, is it automatically disabled when the console is on? Is there a possibility it is sending channel levels that are then recorded?

I think if the panel was active it would affect live as well. But to take assumption out of the mix make a cue at 25% and see if they stay at 30.

New update:
I think my problem is a hardware issue because I tried using the other C/D fader and that set works perfectly fine. It goes to a full black out. My problem is half solved. At some point I will see if the school will send in the small board the faders are attached to and get it repaired. Thank you for your help.

Well you can spray in some deoxit (sp?) electronic cleaner and see if that helps the fader.

It's been about a decade since I've worked on an Innovator, but I remember the desk very well. It was quite buggy and often unreliable...

Anyways, go to the Track Sheet display. That will tell you right away if this a programming (recording) error or a playback error. I'd be inclined to agree though that it's a broken fader on the A/B Playback. This board in particular was very susceptible to that sort of thing.

Good Luck!

Well you can spray in some deoxit (sp?) electronic cleaner and see if that helps the fader.
@Amiers Once you start down the De-oxit road, faders seem to develop an addiction demanding more and more of it oftener and oftener. Similarly, if the faders were originally lubricated with a conductive grease by their manufacturers, cleaners quickly dilute the manufacturer's 'magic grease'. You can play this addiction game for a while but I've always found fader replacement, often from someone like Digi-key or Mouser to be the better, longer term, answer. With sufficient time, care and effort, it's often possible to purchase the exact OEM faders from a large parts supplier at extremely attractive pricing.
EDIT: Added Mouser Electronics who I've ALWAYS found to be fast and efficient when it comes to quickly sourcing small quantities of OEM parts at GREAT prices.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
yeah I guess it is a catch 22.

It looks like the down fade portion of the cue is not completing. If you goto cue 15, it will go to black, yes? A bad fader pot on the AB is a good guess. Although, looking at the percentage complete of DN on your screen (just a white block, no value) kinda looks like a software bug.

As Jeff mentioned, this is the least stable console I've ever experienced. I had one that would just drop its patch and need to be rebooted. Ended up replacing the mother board.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 5.31.37 PM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back