Problem with Gel Burnout in Altman Sky Cyc

Smatticus

I am having problems with gel burning out unusually fast in my Altman Sky Cyc fixtures. After using them for one rehearsal and one show I'm already finding the gel fading in the center, I'm just using standard Roscolux colors. All the fixtures have 1000w lamps in them (we had been using some 1500w but they were burning even faster so I stopped using those). I can't really think of any reason why they would burn out so quickly, except for that we use them at probably have the recommended distance from the cyclorama. Can anyone suggest something that might alleviate this problem? I was browsing Rosco's thermal shield products but I don't think they could be used in the same frame as the gel with no air space between. Does anyone know of another brand of gel that is more heat resistant? Thanks!

Distance of fixture to object being lighted matters not. As the above said, try Lee HT series. USD 2-3 more per sheet but does last longer in my experience. With what colors specifically are you having difficulties? If for example R80 is burning too quickly, try L079HT. Might try directing a fan blowing air at each dark color. Something like this, but less expensive; and be sure to power them with a non-dim and use many safety cables.

What colors are you currently using? At Morris we currently are running 2 Sky Cycs with 1Kw lamps and have been using the same gel in them for about a year without fading. We have been using Rosco's 124,125,126 (Red, Blue, Green) cyc silk colors. Not sure of they are treated any differently than some of Rosco's other gel, though they are a bit less saturated than, say, R80.

Clark

I agree with Clark. We use Rosco Cyc Silks (124,125,126) and I can go long periods without changing out gel. My blues fade first, but that's cause my designs tend to favor blue over other colors. I'm using 1.5K lamps in mine and have to change out gels roughly every 3-4 months. That's during heavy show rotation too.

Chris Chapman
TD, Greenville Performing Arts Center

I don't use the altman units, I use Colortran far-cycs and L&E Broad Cyc (4 cell top/bottom config.). I have not yet had any issues burning through color, and I have used a wide range of colors. The L&E units even sit the color closer to the lamp, and still no issues.

This may seem like a silly question, but are your fixtures right side up? If you have them upside-down it can prevent heat from escaping and possibly burn your color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back