problem with wrestling ring

benchman

i have a problem lighting a wrestling ring. my trim on the ring is about 12 feet... the trim on the outside of the ring is about 18 feet. the ring is a standard 18ft ring with a 26ft truss flying above it. but i also have an additional roughly 6 ft around it that has to be well lit as well for video. apparently it's being recorded for tv... that would have been nice to know... i have absolutely no experience with lighting for this purpose. all i was told is that i needed to have white wash over the ring. being that my trim over the ring was only twelve ft i assumed that i was all right with some led wash... i'm using the ADJ pro par CWWW for that purpose. obviously some more information ahead of time would have been helpful rather then making it sound like it really wasn't that important to them. now the question... i'm running 24 of those ADJ pro parCWWW cans on the truss inside of the ring. can i mix fresnel lighting with those cans? i'm planning on running twelve 1000k fresnels in a circular pattern from the pipe grid to light up the entire area?

dave

I would highly recommend a new plan. I am not familar with the output of an ADJ but I don't you will put enough light for TV. Also the light output between LED cans and fresnels is completely different.
I would suggest doing the entire thing with PARs to wash the ring. Then use Some type of leko for banners. They may no have them on the truss with as low a trim as you have but they will have them somewhere. I suggest talking to the TV LD and/or the director and see what they say. They should give you a footcandle rating that they want in the ring. When you focus they will check it with a light meter for evenness.

your assuming that these guys are professional... none of the camera crew even own a light metre... let alone know what they need. and i'm strickly a rock n roll light guy. i've been told that it doesn't matter if the leds stay up becuase they don't have a flicker issue and the fresnels will pretty much wash them out anyways. the area being lit is only about 45 x 45ft and with eight 1,000k frenels it will pretty much wash the entire area. these guys are definently not professionals... however it will be aired on sindicated tv so all i'm really after hear is suplying enough white to give them what they think they need... man oh man... i'm sticking to rock and roll from now on... i'm not looking for the perfect situation here... i'm looking to see what i can get away with... lighting director... candle light... that's funny... i guess i should have mentioned that nobody involved with this three ring circus has a clue... but thanks for your input and perhaps it will come in handy next time i'm stuck in this situation...

Two words of advice (actually, 3), based on how "professional" these people are:

1. Find out how much they want to spend, and give them that much. Do the best you can with the $$ involved. I wouldn't spend too much time fretting over this. Obviously, they aren't.

2. Get the money up front. Preferably in cash. If they're bad at the tech end, they are probably just as bad, if not worse, at the business end.

3. Don't let your business/name get into the credits if this turns out badly. The last thing you need is to be known as the guy who did a crap job (assuming that they don't have the budget for you to do it correctly) on a tv event. Doesn't matter why, it just matters that you did.

thanks len... you read my mind. i think the tearm..." no good deed goes unpunished" is relivent on this one. i'm primarily an audio company the lighting thing is rather new to me.

well i think ism going to use some opti zoom pars on the inside of the truss to light the ring and lekos around the outside perimeter to take care of the outside perimeter. i'm planning on eight lekos at a trim of about 15, about 20ft out... one on each corner and one on each side. and twelve opti zoom pars inside the ring .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back