Problems marking floor, need suggestions.

ktflem

Need an alternative to gaff tape! [Ik the horror...] I'm the stage manager for a church camp, and the floor of the building we're in is always covered in red dirt [Oklahoma]. This makes taping the stage or floor near impossible. We've found a way around taping cords, we just can't mark the stage for when we need to move the worship set every afternoon.

Need a non-permanent solution! The stage is wood just fyi.

Thanks!

Need an alternative to gaff tape! [Ik the horror...] I'm the stage manager for a church camp, and the floor of the building we're in is always covered in red dirt [Oklahoma]. This makes taping the stage or floor near impossible. We've found a way around taping cords, we just can't mark the stage for when we need to move the worship set every afternoon.

Need a non-permanent solution! The stage is wood just fyi.

Thanks!
Are you speaking of one or two points, or forty? If it's only two or three points, are flat-head brass wood screws a possibility either at the locations themselves or out at the edges as references for a couple of quick chalk lines? Brass screws are useful for not rusting and staining.
One theatre I worked in had four brass screws in a diamond configuration denoting the center of their curtain line. Those four screws were there for decades through several sandings and refinishings.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Even Red dirt goes away with a damp cloth...
Saying that as an Oklahoma Native. Laying gaff on a clean floor should yield no issues. Other than that, yeah you'd be looking at a permanent solution like, sanding down the spike spots, painting a dot on the floor then re-covering with clear finish.
'Course if its Camp Eagan you're going to need waterproof Gaff tape and a bigger boat...

Are you speaking of one or two points, or forty? If it's only two or three points, are flat-head brass wood screws a possibility either at the locations themselves or out at the edges as references for a couple of quick chalk lines? Brass screws are useful for not rusting and staining.
One theatre I worked in had four brass screws in a diamond configuration denoting the center of their curtain line. Those four screws were there for decades through several sandings and refinishings.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

About 20 points. Thanks for the ideas!

Chalk.
If you need short term scuff protection, lightly hair spray the chalk.
Both would clean up with a wet mop.

Idea but never have tried : use novelty hair color sprays. Test in a out of the way location.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back