Problems with Yamaha Studio Manager for LS9-32

Hello respective members of CB,

I'm a high school student and the other day I discovered this software that Yamaha provides. As the title says, we're running a Yamaha LS9-32 and I thought that it would be great to be able to pre-program EQ, levels, cues and whatnot. I went out and bought a MIDI-USB connector and hooked that up along with an ethernet cable to the board and my laptop. I started the syncing process in Studio Manager but around 20% it stops and the board's monitor flashes "Tx Buffer Full." I tried messing around with the MIDI settings on the board but to no avail. I've searched all the official set up guides for Studio Manager the specific LS9 editor, and the MIDI section of the board's book but have come up with nothing about the Tx buffer. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcus

A buffer is a part of the RAM where data is stored when moving from one place to another, so its telling you it's full. The manual has this to say:
Too much data has been transmitted via the HA Remote output
port.
except it's not output, its input. And it's trying to do more than it can handle. Check that the console is running the latest software, and that you are using the current LS9 version. If this keeps happening, then try transferring in smaller amounts, try just setting the EQs and transfer, just setting the cues and transfer, it may even be the size of the built in RAM on your USB-MIDI converter, so small chunks and you should be fine.
Nick

I think it does require MIDI. When I was downloading and setting up Studio Manager it wanted me to set up MIDI ports, and when I tried syncing without MIDI it wouldn't do anything.

g15: Could you direct me to a guide on configuring that? I installed the DME Network Driver and it's set up on the same IP, subnet mask, and gateway as the board, but still won't work.

I controlled an LS9-16 directly via ethernet at my last church. Install the DME network driver and make sure you can ping the console via it's IP. I believe it responds to a ping. You most definitely do not need a USB-Midi adapter. I'd give the console a static IP as well. You can't set the computer and the console to the same IP, they have to be different, i.e. that last octet has to be different.

Last edited:
MIDI connections are unnecessary, although there are some MIDI port settings that must be done correctly.

Networking & Wireless Networking with LS9 & Windows XP

DME NETWORK DRIVER SETUP
- Confirm that “DME-N Network Driver”, “Studio Manager”, & “LS9 Editor” are installed on your PC.
- Click on “Start” menu and then click on “Control Panel”
- Double click on the “DME Network Driver
- Click on “New” button (The middle section should allow for data to be entered).
- Enter “Device Name” (I.E., “LS9”)
- Enter “Device IP Address” (Go to LS9 “Setup” screen. Use the same “IP Address” shown there)
- Enter “Device MAC Address” (Go to LS9 “Setup” screen. Use the same “MAC Address” shown there)
- Select “Device Port No.” as “1”
- Click “Apply” then click “Save and Close”

NETWORK SETUP
- Click on “Start” menu and then click on “Control Panel”
- Double click on “Network Connections”
- Right click on “Local Area Connection” and then click on “Properties”
[For wireless networking right click on “Wireless Network Connection” & follow same steps below]
- Select “General” tab, scroll to and click on “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)”
- Select “Use the following IP Address” and enter a Static IP Address [NOTE 1]
(I.E., 192.168.0.130) ***DO NOT USE THE SAME NUMBER AS THE CONSOLE*** [NOTE 2]

- Set the Subnet Mask (I.E. 255.255.255.0) and click on “OK”
***YOU WILL USE THE NUMBER PROVIDED ON THE CONSOLE***

- Click “OK” on “Local Area Connection Properties” box
[For wireless networking click “OK” on “Wireless Network Connection Properties” box]
- Click “OK” on “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” box
- Close “Network Connections” box
- Restart Computer [not always necessary]
- Turn off all Firewalls. (I.E., Norton, Symantec, etc… & Turn off Windows Firewall. [not always necessary]

STUDIO MANAGER SETUP (steps with * may need to be repeated each time Studio Manager is launched)
* Launch Studio Manager
- Select “File”, then “Setup” then “Modify Workspace”
- Add “LS9” from “Device Editor” to the “Workspace” [NOTE 3]
* Select “MIDI Ports” and “check” identical (the same) “Input Port” & “Output Port” & click “Apply” [NOTE 3]
* Click “OK” on the “Setup for …” box
* Double-click on the LS9 Icon and open LS9 Editor
* Click on “File” and select “System Set Up”
* Select identical (the same) “Input Port” and “Output Port” [NOTE 3]
* Enter “Administrator Password”, if you have set one, (same as on the LS9) and click “OK” [NOTE 3]
* Click on “Synchronization” and select “Re-Synchronizing”
* Select “Console -> PC” or “PC -> Console” and click “OK”

After “Re-Synchronizing” is completed, you should be good to go!

NOTE 1: It may be necessary to change this setting back to “Obtain an IP address automatically” in order to later connect to the Internet or certain networks.

NOTE 2: If you have already set up your PC for control via a “wired” Ethernet connection or have already set up your PC for wireless connection, you will need to enter a different Static IP Address so the two do not conflict (I.E., 192.168.0.131).

NOTE 3: Click “Set Default” to make LS9 default console, other wise you must repeat these steps each time you launch Studio Manager.

NOTE REGARDING DIRECT CONNECTION CABLES: You may use either a “Standard” Ethernet cable or a “Crossover” cable for a direct connection between an LS9 and a PC. (NOTE: Some of Yamaha’s other consoles require a crossover cable for direct connection to a PC).

NOTE REGARDING ROUTERS: When connecting THROUGH a router, use a “Standard” Ethernet cable to the PC and either a “Standard” or “Crossover” cable to the LS9. Connect these cables to the router outputs ports ONLY (LAN ports). Do NOT connect to the port on the router labeled “Internet” or “WAN”. The steps above are the same whether you use a direct connection or connect through a router.

(Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2008 20:49 by Tom Boisseau on ProSoundWeb.)

If you're still having issues with this by the end of the week, I'll be back on campus and will have access to an LS9 to test things.

But yeah, you only need to connect via the ethernet port, not the midi port. The MIDI data is transmitted back and forth via the Network. You have to make sure you select the right MIDI port settings in Studio Manager. You have to add the MIDI ports and then select them - it's a two-part process.

You can connect the ethernet cable directly to the computer or run it through a router if you will be connecting multiple Yamaha network devices. I have an install in our blackbox that has an LS9-16 and 3 DME Sattelite units connected to a basic network switch that allows me to control the LS9 and the DMEs through the same network connection.

Unfortunately soundlight I won't even be able to get access to the board until next week to try these fixes. My school is on summer vacation and they don't give students the keys to the theatre (even though we're the only ones who know how to turn the lights on). I'll try to go in on Monday and see if the straight Ethernet works. I'll come on CB while I'm there and let you know if it worked.

Thanks,
Marcus

My school is on summer vacation and they don't give students the keys to the theatre (even though we're the only ones who know how to turn the lights on).
Thanks,
Marcus

I love the irony of that...I'm in the same situation myself...

But then again, I do understand not giving students keys...think about it...

Well the thing is, our auditorium is keyed so that you can be given a key that only opens doors to the auditorium, nothing else, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to give us that key. If we had malicious intents, we could extremely easily walk away with tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment one night after a rental. I think it's more a county issue because they can't tell the school board that they gave a key to minors. I've pursueded the administrator in charge of "running" the auditorium (I use quotes because all he really does is make the schedule) to give us keys to everything inside the space, and I figure by the time I graduate I'll have gotten him to give our head tech a key to the back door.

I played this same game a few months ago. First, I'd recommend connecting directly to the console before trying to get routers and networks and wireless connections involved. Keep it simple, and once it's working you can go from there.

Especially check to make certain you have the latest firmware for your console from the Yamaha website. I spent days trying to get it working before checking the firmware version. On a new install, I figured it a given that they'd have installed the latest firmware, but I was mistaken.

Following the instructions above, you should be able to get everything setup, but don't let a "given" detail like the firmware prevent you from getting it working.

Well the thing is, our auditorium is keyed so that you can be given a key that only opens doors to the auditorium, nothing else...

As with most decent quality patented keyway systems installed in decent sized buildings...it's usually area controlled...
It's not exactly a just-you thing...

In fact at our school, it's even possible to have a key only to the booth, and nothing but the booth.

Again, I think it comes back to the topics we already mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back