Product Reviews

Davetp

PRODUCT REVIEWS
In my YouTube channel i have a product review series that i have just started.
Do You Have Any Suggestions On Products I Could Get To Review?

(I don't have a lot of money so i cant buy very expensive products)

Well respected reviewers get the products sent for free, but also to be returned.

A tack not often taken is reviewing low end products. I.e. shoebox dimmers, cheap cables, DJ consoles, light/speaker stands...

Yeah i might go online and buy some stuff. I suppose you have to build up a portfolio before company's trust you to review their products.

Just get to know your local suppliers. They will point you to their sources and so forth. After all you are performing what they view as advertising.

Yeah i might go online and buy some stuff. I suppose you have to build up a portfolio before company's trust you to review their products.

I usually draw upon my employers established name to get products to review. I have never paid to review a product, or been paid for that matter. When I have reviewed products in the past it has been for mutual gain of both myself and the manufacturer -- they want my review to sell in their marketing, and I want their product to see if it will fill a hole in my production needs. They send me their product for a set amount of time, with a set goal in mind for use of application which we negotiate beforehand.

Sometimes it's as simple as I want Product X for my load in and tech period to try parallel to my other gear, and I report back if it worked to my liking, if it did I make a press release and forward it on to them, and corporate lawyers from both sides fight over what will be published in the trade publication.

Other times I get Product Y for months on end to cycle through a few different shows, and see how I can break it over the course of the run, with the manufacturer expecting to get a product back that has been pushed to its limits so they can figure out how to revise it to make it better. At the end of the process, I say how I used it (I love figuring out how to use products for something that is not an advertised use) along with actual data for their engineers and we figure out how a press release would sound. If it's negative, often times I end the relationship with the manufacturer and nothing bad is said, if it was good and they agree with my usage, we draft a release together. Sometimes if it's middle of the road, they take the data that they like, and take it to trade shows so myself or my organization doesn't have to be listed in a review that goes to press, and they can use the data because I used their product.

Also there are new products that come out and some places will send them out for review. Thats how I got my hands PRG's renew, its an LED engine designed to use the body and lens tube for a S4, saw the email, filled out the form, got one for a week to play with. Easy enough if you keep an eye on stuff thats soon to be released

Users who are viewing this thread

Back