Production Intercom shipping delays

Re: Production Intercom

I don't know that I'd hold my breath on it, but my understanding is that if you wait, you will be able to buy new packs from the daughter who's taking over the business under the name Pro Intercom LLC.

I'm not sure how long it will be before that happens and she's got a product she can mass produce and sell. Rumor has it that pricing and model numbers will remain that same, and that she's hired up all of the former staff from PI. They also supposedly already have a location for manufacturing too, but I don't know if they're tooled yet. I believe they have to purchase all new tooling and infrastructure as I presume all of PI's assets are being liquidated as part of their bankruptcy filing.

I would estimate that the new packs will be compatible with the old ones and that the quality will at least be as good as it has been to date (because they've kept all of the PI staff), but how long it will take for them to get a product shipping out the door is unknown. I also know that they will be starting with a backlog of orders from people who placed orders before the bankruptcy announcement but that have yet to be fulfilled, so there could be a delay before they start accepting new orders.

I believe that what you may find it what people still have in their inventory. I 'm anxious so see PI come back as they've always offered good product and support. I was just checking a system out yeaterday and found out that due to the project schedule I had specified a two channel PI master station that was replaced by the three channel version by the time the Contractor ordered it but by the time it came to deliver everything that was no longer available. However, apparently PI went and found enough parts to build one of the older two channel masters that had originally been specified and was able to deliver that.

I know others had bad experiences with PI ceasing production and this could have easily been an additional example, but it may also reflect that PI did seem to try to do what they could where anything was possible.

A compatible system, better in my opinion with more features and with plenty of stock is Altair of Spain, also not expensive as Spain is in recession.
Distributors
This is not a promo, I use it myself.

I'd like to know if the Altair equipment is available for use with US voltage and electrical outlets. I can't seem to find this in the literature.
The rear panel of the master stations seems to suggest the units are compatible with 120VAC@60Hz, however I noted no mention of FCC and/or UL approval on the pictures of the unit or in the manual. Since that has been an issue for other manufacturers and products I can see that possibly affecting distribution and use in the US. Does anyone know if they have the appropriate FCC and UL approval?

I use the altair randomly with the mix of PI, Jands and clearcom stuff I've picked up over the years, but if it's my show I'm doing I like to use the Altair master because it has a kill mics switch on the master and if you have kids on the line talking about things they shouldn't you can kill their mics and get them back in line. To get the mics live again you simply re press the mic button on the pack.Also you can set the pack to dynamic or electret mics, which are cheaper and more generally available. I don't know about UL listing, when I tried to get some P28 bases listed the costs were enormous, it would have tripled the cost of my very small run. I have no connection with Altair so I can't speak for them, I just know their service is first class and I prefer their gear to any other, even the ones I had made myself in China.I am guessing that with no distributor in the US they would supply direct and you will be surprised at the low cost, I'm in the process of getting some Bluetooth interface boxes off them, if these work out I would find them very useful and cost effective.

... I like to use the Altair master because it has a kill mics switch on the master and if you have kids on the line talking about things they shouldn't you can kill their mics and get them back in line. To get the mics live again you simply re press the mic button on the pack. ...
Ah yes, RMK--Remote Mic Kill is a terrific feature introduced by Clear-Com in the early/mid '80s, and isn't used nearly enough IMO. ISTR that ANY user could kill ALL open mics by holding his CALL button for a specific duration, does that sound correct?

-----

BTW David, how's/what's your son doing these days? We haven't heard from him in quite some time. I can't even remember his CB username. Seemed like a very bright kid.

Sean's working in the business now, working a show as we speak, he's taking over next year when I go sailing again.

Production Intercom

Who has experience/knowledge of the state of the new/resurrected Production Intercom?
Are the production lines running, products shipping?

I want to replace some of the PI equipment in our theater, but I need some assurance that the reformed company is functioning.

Just received this from the new Prointercomllc.com:
"Hi Van,

No Production Intercom Inc. is no longer is business. We will be carrying the same product line but concentrating on econoCom packages, Blazon's, Handsets and Headsets for the first little while. We are working on our new Master Station (MS301) and should have that available in the coming month or two. The new 2-Channel Power supply will be next in line.

Production Intercom Inc. had financial struggles and was just unable to make ends meet. Diana the owner or Pro Intercom LLC and I are the daughters of Glenn and Sibbelina, former owners of PI.

Diana and I hope to make this a successful venture and stay in the marketplace for years to come.

Thank you,

Cathy S.
Home Page
"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back