Programming QLab: Xkeys, OSC, et alia

Jay Ashworth

I don't stress QLab out very hard, programming the stuff I do here in the sticks, but there's one thing I do on every cue on every show: adjusting the levels.

I presently do that by using V to start the cue, so I don't lose context, and looking at the cue in the Time&Loops window, for context.

But then I can't reach the Master level control for the cue.

Is there any easy way that I can configure QLab and maybe some ancillary stuff to let me get "Master Level volume up/down 1/2/3/6dB" (on 8 separate keys, obviously), such that it will end up baked into the cue, and Save when I do that? Numeric keypad keys maybe? XKeys?

I gather I can do that from OSC, but I assume I'd need something to capture those keys and bend them around into OSC. Can I just assign those keys QLab scripts? Can those scripts reach "the current cue"?

Will I learn all these answers when I read the OSC API section of the website? :)

I don't think you need OSC to tweak levels. If 'twere me, I'd write a script for a key that adds or subtracts a fixed increment then hammer it repeatedly, instead of assigning multiple keys.

I don't think you need OSC to tweak levels. If 'twere me, I'd write a script for a key that adds or subtracts a fixed increment then hammer it repeatedly, instead of assigning multiple keys.

> Can I just assign those keys QLab scripts? Can those scripts reach "the current cue"?

So, "yes", then? :)

I'll take a look, thanks. Do you know if that context can separate the numpad keys from the main keyboard ones?

I had a great reply and then figured out there's no way to run my cue without a script. Oh well. ;)

No, I'm ok with learning actual scripting, it's just 5 or 10 times as large an object as OSC command strings are, and since I don't need any of the extra capabilities brought along by an actual scripting language...

Looking closer, the cookbook thing from Sam has exactly what I need; I just have to figure out how one utilizes that in the context of some other cue sheet that's your actual show.

Well, it looks like

/cue/playhead/level/0/+ 3

oughtta work, if I've read the dictionary at

correctly... but it either isn't triggering on the key I put it on ("NUM 8"), or it isn't doing anything... and I'm not sure how to debug it, sending to localhost.

Any pointers, anybody? @Zebetz?

Last edited:
Mind using AppleScript, sorry a QLab script cue?

Like the following for +1 dB, triggered by a Hotkey of your choice:
tell application id "com.figure53.QLab.4"
tell front workspace
set selected_cue to selected as list
set cue_target to first item of selected_cue
try
set level_old to cue_target getLevel row 0 column 0
set level_new to level_old + 1
cue_target setLevel row 0 column 0 db level_new
end try
end tell
end tell

In the "set level_new to level_old + 1" line, you can ajust the value to add or do a "- 1" and use another Hotkey to get 1 dB less.

Hope, this works for you!

Regards...
...Maik

I use a stream deck with companion and have this functionality set up as buttons for QLab. Haven't used it much (set it all up during the pandemic, only have had a few shows since).

In a slightly different approach than Jay's original posting, I tried to get an AppleScript and an Automator workflow to do something alike.
You can get both versions from my homepage.

Value.png

If someone's interested:
there's an update available.

• v20220615-011
- corrected bug, when length of a Fade’s target’s name was less than 30 characters.
- added error handler for Automator Service workflow and QLab 4 Script cue, not using the correct storage area for the last used (integer) value.

Please consult the enclosed PDF for the feature's list.

/cue/playhead/level/0/+ 3

oughtta work, if I've read the dictionary at

super close but not exactly…

/cue/playhead/level/0/0/+ 3

extra zero in there. the first zero means which row of the matrix mixer you’re addressing, and the second means which column.

also to be clear, this message addresses whichever cue the playhead it pointing at, i.e. the standing by cue. /cue/selected will get you the currently selected cue or cues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back