Projecting 120 Fast Color Changing LEDs

WooferHound

I am about halfway finished with an Art project which will project 120 Fast Color Changing RGB LEDs onto the wall or Christmas tree or anything else.

There is a 12 x 11 grid of LEDs, minus 3 from each corner so the image will have some roundness.
full

Color Changing LEDs are dependant on a certain Voltage on the input and the current limiting is done by the microcontroller onboard each RGB LED. These LEDs are rated 3.0-3.4 volts and I'm giving them the full 3.4 volts to insure best brightness. All 120 LEDs are wired in Parallel. It took over 2 hours to get the PC board made.
full

These LEDs Flash 2 to 5 times a second and do fast color fades too. I took some pictures but since the LEDs are flashing, about a third of them will be off at any instant. This ends up being a very Busy and Exciting display that can't be captured in a photograph.
full

This is being powered from my 12v solar power right now, but I will be using a 120vac powering a 6vac transformer to make an 8.5vdc power supply feeding a Buck converter to get the needed 3.4v to feed the panal. Measured the Current draw from the buck converter to the panel and it averaged about .9 amp at the 3.4 volts, so it's a little more than 3 watts to the LEDs.
full

It works really good and is really bright, showing up real good in bright light. Unbeleavably busy Dancing Patterns. Changing the Focus makes some great effects and it will be built to make the focus easy to adjust. I've gutted an old Meteor Liteflower disco light and will be placing everything inside of that.
full

Definitely looks like it will be ... is there a generic name for fixtures that are *specifically* designed to have their emitter face turned so the audience can see it?

I clearly phrased it wrong.

"Is there a generic name for light fixtures that are designed to be visible to the audience *for artistic reasons relating to the design of the emitters*?" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back