Projecting from the side

Hi,
I may be in need of project images from the side. I cannot have the projector 90 degrees with the screen. Projector should be I think about 60 degrees with the screen.
If i get a projector with horizontal keystone then will I be able to get the image right? I know it will degrade the image. That's not a problem because they are very old images and the screen is square sail (has wrinkles and isn't very tight)
I was looking at Panasonic PT-VW350 series. They have horizontal keystone -60 to +60. How much i can be off the 90 degrees with that?

We have Panasonic PT-DW730 that we could use but it doesn't have horizontal keystone option.

Just to clarify, you plan on having the projector at 30 degrees off axis where as you mention that 90 degrees would be perfectly perpendicular to the screen surface. I assume this is correct because in the documentation for that projector, the maximum you can adjust the horizontal keystone is 30 degrees.

Yes, it will degrade your image by compressing the one side by about 1/3rd. However, you will also need to compensate for your loss of brightness that this will cause.

I will be running the show from Qlab3 I hope. At the moment I have Qlab2 with pro audio, hopefully I will be running 3 with pro audio then, there I have on free screen. Maybee I can get Basic video for that also, then I will be able at least fade the images out.

QLab 3 allows you to Keystone in the software as well, so it may be worth trying both the projector keystone and the QLab keystone to see what looks better.
As for your QLab 3 license, if you are going to be doing any decent amount of projections for your show (but only for this one show) it may be worth renting the Pro Video license. It is a nice option and, depending on the length of your run, could be cheaper.

Lucky me, I explained to them that we need at least basic video license but if we are going to use it more then the bundle comes out cheaper in the end, so I got pro video also (Y)
This makes things easier.
Just a theoretical question about keystone. If I don't use projectors keystone and only use QLab the amount of light lost is the same when using projectors keystone?

Yes. The light loss is a function of physics, not the way the signal is processed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back