Projecting logos

Reggie

Have a lighting job coming up where the client wants to project the logo or symbol of each group performing on a white cyc wall behind the group. Initially thought about having gobos cut for each group. Don't have a gobo rotator, so I would dedicate a lamp operator to the task of changing out the gobos. Is there a better alternative? Maybe a digital projector?

Uhm. 1 light for each gobo?

The other alternative is to find a mover that you can drop custom gobos or lithos into. ;)

I've had some success with using an LCD projecter. Grab jpeg images and place them in a powerpoint slide show and fire away. Limit the amount of light saturation on the cyc.

Uhm. 1 light for each gobo?

The other alternative is to find a mover that you can drop custom gobos or lithos into. ;)

If you're short on dimmers, then just use two dimmers and replug during the event. You'd have the logo for the current act, and the next one both plugged in. When you fade out the first image, swap to the "on deck" light.

It will be much easier to keep the gobos in the lights....keeping the focus/orientation correct and all. Unless you have the $$ to afford a rather bright projector, this is probably your best "low dollar/low circuit" way of doing it. If you have enough lekos to do it, that is.

--Sean

My vote would be something digital or video based. With a video projector you can use something like powerpoint to switch images, and have as many as you want. Also, if any of the talent has logos, graphics, etc., it can be scanned in or incorporated electronically. Creating 10 - 20 gobos could get $$. Most people have a notebook with a vga out. Most projectors accept that type of signal. And most projectors can keystone to a degree, so it should be fairly easy. The difficulty is mounting it so that it looks good and is bright enough, but even that is not that big a challenge.

Keep in mind, using Power Point will allow for full color graphics whereas custom steel gobos do not and glass gobos would sky rocket your budget.

Have a lighting job coming up where the client wants to project the logo or symbol of each group performing on a white cyc wall behind the group. Initially thought about having gobos cut for each group. Don't have a gobo rotator, so I would dedicate a lamp operator to the task of changing out the gobos. Is there a better alternative? Maybe a digital projector?
Followspots could be an option, downside is keystoning is hard, but chances are you have one directly opposite each side of the stage, so you project two. You already have the followspot op's there, so they can change, and there will be a post about printing your own gobos somewhere here. Good luck
Nick

When I was in Phoenix, I would rent one of these with the added motorized gobo changers. I'm sure someone in your neck of the woods would have one to rent. Or, assuming you have source4 fixtures, you could possibly rent one or two of GAMs gobo trays.

I would shy away from the extreme angle and keystone correction on projection. If you are showing a company logo, they don't take too kindly to their images becoming distorted. When you are using keystone correction, you can't avoid it entirely. The best bet is to go from FOH with a long-throw lens. Remember that the cyc isn't a normal projection surface so you will have light loss due to that. Other than that, you should make sure to keep as much light off your cyc as possible to make the images stand out.

Projection is the only way to go in this case. I have done stuff like this in venues large and small.

Mike

Followspots could be an option, downside is keystoning is hard, but chances are you have one directly opposite each side of the stage, so you project two. You already have the followspot op's there, so they can change, and there will be a post about printing your own gobos somewhere here. Good luck
Nick

Followspots....with gobos...are you serious?
-----
Your best bet is to either manually recircuit the lights, or get a video projector. If it doesn't need to be cyc, you could consider some RP screens, and straight project from the back, no need for keystoning.

I think he meant projection.

Would you have to put the logo upstage center? Would it work to project it to a screen or screens on each side of the stage? Then you might have an easier time with projectors, plus you wouldn't have to worry too much about bleed from the stage lights.

What is wrong with Gobos in follow spots? This isn't some novel concept, in fact many follow spots are designed to accept gobos.

What is wrong with Gobos in follow spots? This isn't some novel concept, in fact many follow spots are designed to accept gobos.

I agree, Alex.

Lycian Followspot pattern sizes:
1206, 1207, 1209 are B Round
1272 is M Round
1238, 1275, 1279, 1290, 1293 are 45mm outer diameter x 35mm image area

Firstly :dance: our Followspots take Rosco "B" sized gobos, problem is keystoning can be annoying. And as icewolf08 said, they are simply oversized profiles. Using followspots to project gobos is so much easier than projectors, beacase the "box" it projects becomes very obvious if the curtains are closed. And ofcourse, if your signal is lost, if the VGA pops out, or if the computer stuffs up, then you can't really do much to get rid of it quicly.
Anywho.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back