Projecting on a complex surface, two projectors, want to create "flat" image

mishakoz

Hey Everyone,

I usually try to figure things out myself, but I'm at a loss and I need help.

I have two projectors, one left and one right, pointed at the front of a house, pretty complex object. What I want to do is to create a flat image, so that the net effect is essentially have one projector center

The difficulty is that I can't seem to find software that accomplishes this. I cutrent ly have a Qlab pro license and I've played with madmapper, but neither seem to have a tool that will manipulate the image in this way.

I've figured out that I need to do three main things. One, I need to warp the image to be flat against the house. That's more or less doable with Qlab or any program. Whats difficult is aligning the images perfectly, so when playback occurs there is no ghosting. The second thing is that any time there is a shadow cast by the architecture, there needs to be a gap in the video, basically a slice cut in the video, and that slice will be rendered by the other projector instead.

I've seen this happen so I know its possible. Please help me out!

I've played around with FacadeSignage before, and it seem pretty feature rich, while still being easy to use and relatively cost effective.

I have a feeling that I know what you are trying to accomplish, but it might be easier if you could provide a picture of the surface you will be projecting on and a rough plan of where you will have the projectors.

Shooting a projector at an angle creates elongated and compressed pixels, which could be the source of your ghosting. Just like an ERS that, when shot at an angle, creates an oval shape with a bright end and a dim end. The pixels on the bright end of the projector are compressed, and elongated on the dim end. Using both hardware and software keystone would help, but if the angle between the two projectors is severe, it won't fix it 100%. I would re-look at the positioning of the projectors, getting them as close as possible. Also, rather than using both projectors together, I would use one at a time, one covering the other when something gets in the way. You can use Qlab to put a black image over the video to cover the shadows as you described, and time it with movement with fade cues, rather than fight with editing the video itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back