Projection Questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm designing a show for a small local theatre and my budget for both lighting and projections is $600. I have two np2000 new projectors, a brand new macbook pro, and access to either Isadora or Qlab for control. My concern is how to connect the computer to the projectors so that I can have them work both as separate screens and on continuous screen. I'm fairly new to the projections scene so I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Depending on which MBP you have, it could possibly drive multiple monitors/projectors out of the box with the correct adapters. For example my late 2013 MBP with dedicated GFX card will drive three screens no problem. (1 HDMI, and two via Thunderbolt adapters.) I'm not sure if QLab or Isadora will support it without something like a Triple Head to Go, but perhaps someone with more expertise can chime in.

What surface(s) are you projecting onto?

600$ is pretty thin. The cabling alone will be a pretty penny. How far away are these going to be from your computer. Either of those programs should recognize the multiple displays that your computer sets up.

But besides that what do you have already for lighting?

Control
Amount of lights
Dimmers
Power

Either program can easily handle it. As stated, if your MBP does not have the capability of running two separate monitors, then your budget won't quite cut it. Qlab will have an easier learning curve if you haven't used either program.

If you are using qlab, hook the projectors up and have the computer see them as screen extentions (not mirrored). In qlab, you will set up three surfaces: one for just the first projector, one for just the second projector, and a third with both projectors. When you set up the cues, asign them to the correct surface representing the projector you want to use.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back