Design Projector Screen with Full Stage Wash Lighting

Hello, I am new to an older style proscenium theater that is a VERY multi-use. My issue is with when we have PPT presentations it is projected onto a screen flown just behind the proscenium and main curtains very simple and foolproof. The problem though is in order to present on stage we need to have our stage lights on to light the podium or wash the stage at all. Our stage is a lacquered wood floor that is EXTREMELY reflective and the way that the lights are hung (hanging positions cannot change, only pointed positions) they reflect off the floor and wash out the screen.

We are purchasing brighter projection systems, but that will not fix the reflection. The way that the hanging points are there is no way to move the lights so that the reflection can be lessened. Lights are a mix of 575w Altman Ellipsoidals and S4 jr's. Are diffusion gels a possibility? I am feeling a bit stuck.... Thank you in advance!

Can you dim the stage lights during the PP presentation and raise them again after it is over?

When do we reach the point where we say to the "powers that be," THAT CAN'T BE DONE.-- IT'S PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.. We can do [bl;ank] or [blank] or [blank] and give you a lit speaker and a bright projection, but NOT the way you ask for it.

Paint the floor black, cross-light the speakers and wash the floor up when you're done.

I believe that it isn't that we say what can't be done and instead tell them what is possible. I have found that offering solutions and letting them know what to expect gets better results. The best thing to do is take pictures that accurately represent what you have as a reminder of what they will get. Do a couple of mock ups to give options. Those options should include different images, one with text, one with a detailed picture, etc. Some images are more forgiving than others in the same conditions.

I did a design for a projection on the side of a building. I did a screen grab of the building from Google maps and placed an image onto the building to represent what the final product would look like. The advertising company didn't think that I was giving an accurate representation, only to be proven wrong when we were on site. I didn’t have problems after that when I did my renderings.
Another example was when I was doing ice projection at a hockey rink. I did a representation of what it would look like since the artistic director couldn't envision the end results (physics). She was pleased when the performance went off.

Hello, I am new to an older style proscenium theater that is a VERY multi-use. My issue is with when we have PPT presentations it is projected onto a screen flown just behind the proscenium and main curtains very simple and foolproof. The problem though is in order to present on stage we need to have our stage lights on to light the podium or wash the stage at all. Our stage is a lacquered wood floor that is EXTREMELY reflective and the way that the lights are hung (hanging positions cannot change, only pointed positions) they reflect off the floor and wash out the screen.

We are purchasing brighter projection systems, but that will not fix the reflection. The way that the hanging points are there is no way to move the lights so that the reflection can be lessened. Lights are a mix of 575w Altman Ellipsoidals and S4 jr's. Are diffusion gels a possibility? I am feeling a bit stuck.... Thank you in advance!
The down lights bounce as much into the audience eyes as onto the screen. It's called relative darkness, the iris in their eyes close to adjust for shinny stage reflection. Like a car headlights in your face, you can't see anything else.

Try one elipsoidal from FOH crossing to podium and turn off the stage down lights. And of course they need to stay at podium.

Wish you the best. Otherwise.... sandpaper, PPG Breakthrough Wrough iron flat black and a paint roller.

I've spent many years in schools with similar situations. If the speaker just has to walk around the stage, then I agree that high sides are the best solution. A little bit of front light to fill in helps the look without interfering with the projection. And yes, if you can throw a nice carpet down, that will not only help with the reflection but make the presenters fell well-taken care of because they'll think they're getting something special for them, not your visuals.

We had a similar problem in our theater because our projector was essentially a glorified classroom projector that had to throw almost a 100 feet. Poor thing never stood a chance. We used the poor quality as a justification for a nicer one with our college president and bada bing, bada boom. We have a 3DLP laser projecter that blows the old projector out of the water.

I know it was already said but the rug also seems like a great idea for the time being. Making the image smaller will also help. You can look up info on foot candles and things like that to help understand a little better. I feel your pain, just keep trying stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back