Projectors...

-What is the appropriate number of lumens? I think we are looking at 75ish foot throw.
As has been pointed out, the higher the better:) You're definatly in the 3500 and up range. As a reference point, one theater where I volunteer has a 12000 lumen projector, at 95' on to a 20' wide screen. You can see it clearly with the house lights on. The 2500 lumen projectors on the 13' wide screens (at about a 30' throw) are similarly bright. The key is more how much screen area you are trying to cover, rather than throw distance.
-What is the significance of contrast ratio, and what should I look for? I'm afraid it would get washed out during the day, as the company who installed our curtains messed up, and light pours through the windows.
Again, the higher the better...
-Is resolution going to be a factor at this distance?
One consideration is what your sources are going to be. PC? DVD? VHS? If there are people seated close to the screen, then resolution is important.
-What types of features are on various projectors, what should I look for? What differs on a projector the designers assume will be deadhung for presenting applications?
The critical feature will be some sort of wired remote control. Some of the higher-end projectors include a remote that can run either IR or wired. On multiple-bulb projectors, the ability to run with fewer lamps burning (when possible) is nice.
-What type of airflow do these need, if any?
LOTS! For the Christie LX120 I use, the spec is 1 meter clearance on all sides.
-Will long runs of video cable degrade in signal quality?
Yes... you should probablt plan on using a video extender, which will put the video down CAT-5 cabling. Some video switchers/scalers have this capability built-in.
-What is the best place to hang? Up on the ceiling keystoned to high hell, straight on from a back of house pipe?
As others (and I) have pointed out, there's advantages to both. If you do hang it from the catwalk (as you indicated) it does have the advantage of somewhat shooting over actors heads, if you are using it for that. One thing you might consider is hanging below your catwalk, on a pipe assembly. The only issue then is access for service (you need a way to pull it up for service.) Also, make sure that you keep the intakes free of dust no matter where you mount it. One issue of mounting over the audiance is noise, so watch for that.
-Where are these commercially available?
Check your local A/V suppliers
-What is the ballpark price?
At the bottom end ~$1/lumen... at the higher end, $2-$3/lumen, or higher...
A few other considerations....
Does your screen already exist? (If it doesn't, it may cost almost as much as the projector)

Your image will not be square... TV/Computer is 4:3, HD is 16:9. If it's primairalt used for presentations, then figure on 4:3.

If your screen really is 30' wide, you may have trouble filling it from 35' away... expecially on a low-end projector.

Another issue in conjunction with screen size is viewing distance. One recommendation (http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/TechnologyExplained/TheRoom/ScreenSize.htm) is that the audiance be between 1x and 5x the screen diagonal away from the screen. Any closer/farther and it's mroe difficult to see. For a 30' wide 4:3 screen, this works out to be 38' for the closest person... it looks like your front row may only be 15-20' from the screen, so you may not really want a screen that big (unless it's already there)

As was also mentioned by others, the best thing is to get a few local AV dealers in to give you a recomendation.... (I can recommend a good dealer in MD, but I don't know if they will deal with PA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back