Pronouncing Chauvet

Schniapereli

I'm working on a small project with some people using a Chauvet DMX-4 dimmer. We've got it working nicely, but we're just not exactly sure how to pronounce "Chauvet," which isn't really too big of a deal amongst the few of us, but it has been bugging us for a while.

So, I am guessing it is french or something. Anyone know the official way to say it?

"Shovay?", "Shove?", "Shovett?"...?

I usually pronounce it "shaw-vay" but shovay works too. I've also heard it pronounced "shehvay".

As long as you don't call it a chawvett I think you're in the clear! :D

Having met the Chauvet family, the correct pronounciation is Chaw - Vay.

Really? With a "CH" sound? mstaylor's audio link kinda sounds like a "SH" and a "CH" put together, so is it maybe just one of those mixes that sometimes happens in foreign languages, or do you mean it has a hard "CH"?
(I only took 8 days of French class...)

(But I will probably use cdub260 and Pie4Weebl's pronunciation for most of time from now on...) ;)

It's French, It doesn't matter how you pronounce it, they're gonna make fun of you and tell you you did it wrong.
:rolleyes::twisted:

I saw Shaw-Vay aswell.
Heard people say Sha-Vay though too.
call their customer support, they have a french computer voice xD

Do you have the Obey 10 by any chance?

I would love to take it to the theatre get a 3 pin to 5 pin and see what I could do with it xD Would be really nice for a tester. instead of hauling around our old board we currently use for a tester.

I've never uttered it out loud. Everyone in my theater has a mutual hatred for it, so we never talk about it.

I've never uttered it out loud. Everyone in my theater has a mutual hatred for it, so we never talk about it.

Yup, we pronounce it EDIT: maybe I better not say that, might get sued.

It doesn't sound anything like Shaw-Vey though.

SB

Last edited:
I saw Shaw-Vay aswell.
Do you have the Obey 10 by any chance?

I would love to take it to the theatre get a 3 pin to 5 pin and see what I could do with it xD Would be really nice for a tester. instead of hauling around our old board we currently use for a tester.

Nope. They are just using a USB to DMX thing and controlling it by some of their own software, and that's pretty much it.

But thanks everyone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back