Prop torches

They aren't quite done yet. I want to add a short stub of 2" PVC to cover the base of the bulb, and (as I said above), want to wrap it with sticks up to about the top of the bulb to obscure the obvious plastic cylinder, but here are a couple videos.

So far the batteries are holding out brilliantly. I assembled one and it has been "burning" for 45 minutes straight on two 600mAh (advertised) 9v batteries in series.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NICE!! And with West epoxy in relatively bulk containers; NOT TOO SHABBY!!
None of the little blister packs with two tubes enclosed. Definitely well on the way to 'Buy once, Cry once'.
Watch them carefully, they'll learn to walk at an early age and proceed to galloping as they mature.
SERIOUSLY: NOT too shabby for an amateur on a little theatre's non-budget.

@What Rigger? @FMEng @Ancient Engineer @sk8rsdad @BrianWolfe @Sharon RC4 Any of you care to comment on @curtis73 's budget materials, workmanhip and overall general appearance of not quite fully finished hand-held torches? @ship How about you; any comments??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
My shop always has a gallon of West Systems epoxy and some slow and fast hardener. I also keep powdered paper and powdered microfiber around. Not much you can't fix, glue, fabricate, feather, or cobble with it.

I think I spent a total of $34 on materials, not including the rechargeable batts, and $60 on the bulbs.

And... amateur? Pffft…. I'm full time salaried. That makes me a pro, cause I'm paid :)

Last edited:
Also pretty durable. Every once in a while I get the time to actually build something right instead of just "in time for tech." Hoping to start a whole bunch of projects like this to generate some rental revenue. Our theater has 94 years worth of props and we're the go-to for rentals around here, but most of our stuff is not unique or special. If you want a Victorian tea set, an umbrella from any one of 6 continents and every time period, or other humdrum prop, we have it.

I now have these torches, some PVC confetti cannons, some non-pyro smoke pots, and a wireless DMX vomit machine.

Success!

I'm trying to upload some photos on our lightning fast internet (sarcasm implied).

All the wiring harnesses are soldered and shrink wrapped and I got one assembled. For future reference, the cheapy pendant lamp socket replacements are a darn-near perfect press-fit in 1-1/4 PVC fittings.

So here is what I got:
- 1-1/4" PVC (one 10' stick cut into six 20-ish inch lengths)
- 1-1/4" x 2" PVC adapters.
- 6 A26 sockets
- 6 of the bulbs linked above
- 9v batt connectors
- some 22 ga wire
- rocker switches

The pictures should be self-explanatory. I haven't "dressed" them yet. I will likely get a bunch of sticks to make a fag (not a slur... look it up) that wraps around the PVC. In the one photo you'll see that I hogged out the shoulder end of the 1-1/4 reducer a little bit to make the cups of the sockets a light press fit, then I coated the inside of the shoulder with epoxy and tapped them in place. The rest should explain itself.
@curtis73 Quoting you: "I will likely get a bunch of sticks to make a fag"
Thank you for illuminating and elucidating:
Per Google;
A short faggot, a faggot of sticks equals a bundle of wood sticks or billets that is 3 feet (0.91 m) in length and 2 feet (0.61 m) in circumference.

In a similar vein, many of us were amused back in the seventies when one of the larger signs beside the highway on our way into Stratford, Ontario proclaimed: FAG. The signage was on the property of the Canadian distributor of Germany's FAG Bearings, a well known and respected manufacturer within their field. @derekleffew You may want to add @curtis73 's well researched term to your memory banks.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Very nice work and engineering. Seemingly great choice on battery - much smaller than the Milwaukee M12 battery I will have recommended only because I used it before - but had to fight housing it. Posted somewhere on the website "Little Murmaid" trident.

Computer RJ-45 fan an interesting idea, one of my assistants has one that is both fan and projects a clock on it. Fan power and LED output too low for use on stage, but interesting thing one just wants to stick a finger into. Rosco #105 I spent a lot of hours at one pint trying to make stiff enough for blowing flower pedals shapes, than finally wound up with silicone castings, but a little different project. Did the silk, and repaired the silk many times both with the home built and commercial ones. Doesn't Rosco have torches already? If not might be able to sell your design to them, or at least get a USITT article - they still do the book? Believe I have a book from about 92' having a tourch but that book is in the attic as with prop's builder's handbook.

That said and great work so far, dislike the lamp globe shape - amazing there isn't a more flame shape to it. No offense please to your work, an observation.
Possible to cut away (if plastic) at the shape of especially the top of globe with a Dremmel to make it more flame shaped even if more un-frosted node light gets out? Or perhaps an outer globe shaped flame shape to expand the flame some in size and mask the actual lamp? Or diamond edged grinder or Dremmel wheel to score than break the globe if glass & replace it with a flame shaped globe from a flame shaped lamp chemically frosted? Companies like Bulbrite have some interesting lamp globe shapes out these days.... Granted that would put a glass outer globe on stage, and having to chemically frost it. Casting such a globe would also be difficult and take up more R&D dollars.

I know I have bought some like 4" dia. balls of thin plastic from McMaster but can't find them on an easy search. Possible a 6" plastic ball available? In which case, I might try attacking it with the tourch tip of a heat gun. Seeing if hole cut out in top & bottom, if I can make it by heating and stretching and shaping into a outer flame shaped shade. Acrylic something like this https://www.grandbrass.com/item/shacg06nlw/lamp_shades-plastic_lamp_shades-acrylic_globes-neckless/ might be bendable and shapable under heat.

But certainly well done in figuring out the staff and lamp and operations. Kudo's on your project, USITT article to present if they still do such things.

A lot more work, and R&D + expense but might push it to 11'.

Last edited:
A nice lightweight alternative was a vacuum formed plastic bundle of sticks.
torch1 (2).jpg
torch2 (2).jpg

Very nice work and engineering. Seemingly great choice on battery - much smaller than the Milwaukee M12 battery I will have recommended only because I used it before - but had to fight housing it. Posted somewhere on the website "Little Murmaid" trident.

That said and great work so far, dislike the lamp globe shape - amazing there isn't a more flame shape to it. No offense please to your work, an observation.
Possible to cut away (if plastic) at the shape of especially the top of globe with a Dremmel to make it more flame shaped even if more un-frosted node light gets out? Or perhaps an outer globe shaped flame shape to expand the flame some in size and mask the actual lamp?
But certainly well done in figuring out the staff and lamp and operations. .

Zero offense taken. I thrive on criticism.

I'll get a picture of the finished product. I agree that the globe is offensively hideous. I can't shape the globe because the COB is immediately behind it and the same shape. I suppose I could add to the globe, but its already big.

The purpose of making them this way was to have a torch base that can be decorated in multiple styles depending on the era/show. What I did was attach some "expanded" cardboard around it with Raffia and stabbed some twigs in it. Since they are never off when on stage, you never see the globe. I also have the benefit with this show of it being a large proscenium. The closest any patron will be to it is about 20', and given the darker lighting of this show, it really gives a flame look behind the sticks and cardboard.

The way they work with the best is to obscure the bulb itself with a break-up pattern dressing. This way you never see the bulb itself, just the flickering light through the dressing.

We always learn from past projects and other's sharing. My Daughter's magical staff, was mainly about shaping and watering up old X-Mass tree wood about a sparkle painted green ball. Lucky she did not know that in the past I made LED microphone stands, Tridents, Poles mounted on springs the "Talent" took great effort to break etc. over the years. This amongst quoted out projects that didn't go thru.

I learned from your project, thanks for presenting it. Honest review best review, thanks also in your ideas.

I've been a bit busy, but here is what they look like in photo form. I'm hoping to snag a little quasi-illegal video of them in action tonight.

And, little proud moment... that is me front and center as Frollo. Its rare that I have the time to audition and accept a role, but I couldn't pass this one up.

Attachments

• torches.jpg
    torches.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back