Props For Hot l Baltimore

I am looking for a telephone switchboard for two productions of The Hot L Baltimore. I have no idea of where to begin looking online. I have exhausted all resources I have here.

If you don't know where I can rent or borrow one from, Would anyone have any ideas of how to make one? It doesn't have to function other than the line has to be plugged in.

This is the last prop I need to find, and it is making me crazy.

Thanks

A telephone switchboard is tough to find, unless a nearby theatre has recently done the musical Bells Are Ringing. Being a lighting guy, I'd have to suggest looking for a "telephone-style" lighting patch panel. But they're usually huge, and contain lots of scrap copper wiring.

Just a thought: Get a bunch of wooden sewing thread spools. Glue a 1/4" dowel onto them. Attach a 14/2 black cable on the other end. Drill a bunch of holes in 3/4" plywood in which to insert the plugs. Add a rotary dial and an old-style operator's headset. Any surplus electronics stores in your area?

Here's more or less what you're trying to create:
proxy.php

See this, for the ultimate telephone switchboard operator. Just build something close.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Switchboard qxf.pdf
    68.3 KB · Views: 251
There used to be an outfit in Cave Junction Oregon, of all places! They rented/sold all types of antique phones and phone appartus. I'd be happy to ask around and see if I can find someone who knows their name. I like Dereks idea, though I hate to admit it.
Heck you could even use 1/4" pegboard, and peices of dowel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back