Scooter29

I've been looking into different clamp types but I'm struggling to find comparisons of different types or explanations about what applications each type is intended for. Here's what I've found so far and please do tell me if I'm getting anything wrong:
  1. C-clamps or c-clamp adjacent hardware can damage truss
  2. Cast iron c-clamps are unrated and although unlikely, may crack if over-tightened repeatedly
  3. Trigger clamps and claws are generally well-liked?
I like the Light Source TC Clamp and Mega-Claw (at least in theory, I've never used them), but they don't seem to have any way to adjust left to right other than the yoke bolt. I guess because they are more intended for moving fixtures, but are there any similar pieces of hardware that let you adjust left to right like the pan bolt on a c-clamp?

Thanks for any advice or information y'all can provide on the subject!

I've been looking into different clamp types but I'm struggling to find comparisons of different types or explanations about what applications each type is intended for. Here's what I've found so far and please do tell me if I'm getting anything wrong:
  1. C-clamps or c-clamp adjacent hardware can damage truss
  2. Cast iron c-clamps are unrated and although unlikely, may crack if over-tightened repeatedly
  3. Trigger clamps and claws are generally well-liked?
I like the Light Source TC Clamp and Mega-Claw (at least in theory, I've never used them), but they don't seem to have any way to adjust left to right other than the yoke bolt. I guess because they are more intended for moving fixtures, but are there any similar pieces of hardware that let you adjust left to right like the pan bolt on a c-clamp?

Thanks for any advice or information y'all can provide on the subject!
Love mega claws, and the newer skinny mega claws, would use on everything practical.
HATE trigger clamps. They tend to get caught in the fastex tabs, and are fussy.
half couplers/half boros: application specific, don't really like them, but they are useful in some cases (Outrigged linear fixtures, for example)
C-clamps should ONLY be used on steel theatrical pipe, or be used with truss protectors

Just my musings.

but they don't seem to have any way to adjust left to right other than the yoke bolt. I guess because they are more intended for moving fixtures, but are there any similar pieces of hardware that let you adjust left to right like the pan bolt on a c-clamp?
I doubt you'll find anything. Most people tighten the "pan bolt" and then just muscle the yoke to whatever pan is desired. Many clamps have a Bellville washer to aid in this but many do not.

Note the Mega-Clamp does not have the jesus nut, but the Mega-Swivel does. I've never seen the latter used in the wild.

See this post https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/pan-bolt-discussion.25411/post-224123 as well as the entire thread.

Please put me firmly in the "I hate trigger clamps" camp.

I doubt you'll find anything. Most people tighten the "pan bolt" and then just muscle the yoke to whatever pan is desired. Many clamps have a Bellville washer to aid in this but many do not.

Note the Mega-Clamp does not have the jesus nut, but the Mega-Swivel does. I've never seen the latter used in the wild.

See this post https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/pan-bolt-discussion.25411/post-224123 as well as the entire thread.

Please put me firmly in the "I hate trigger clamps" camp.
That’s really helpful to note! I’m relatively new to theater tech (just started this school year actually) and am almost entirely self taught, so info from people well versed in the field on this site has been really helpful especially cause y’all often explain the reasoning behind the conclusions.

Love mega claws, and the newer skinny mega claws, would use on everything practical.
HATE trigger clamps. They tend to get caught in the fastex tabs, and are fussy.
half couplers/half boros: application specific, don't really like them, but they are useful in some cases (Outrigged linear fixtures, for example)
C-clamps should ONLY be used on steel theatrical pipe, or be used with truss protectors

Just my musings.
What does steel theatrical pipe mean? Like we’re planning on getting some City Theatrical Steel Safer Sidearms, would using c-clamps be safe for those?

Good to know about the trigger clamps! I’ve seen mixed reviews online, but usually not why the reviewer (dis)likes them

What does steel theatrical pipe mean? Like we’re planning on getting some City Theatrical Steel Safer Sidearms, would using c-clamps be safe for those?

Good to know about the trigger clamps! I’ve seen mixed reviews online, but usually not why the reviewer (dis)likes them
Schedule 40/60/80 steel pipe, rather than the thin aluminum tube stock from which truss is fabricated. The iron/steel bolts of a conventional lighting C clamp will deform *and ruin* truss chords in the turn of a C-wrench.

The side arms are steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back