Prosthetics...is this going to make me go crazy?

DHSLXOP

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is going into the right forum. We're doing Beauty and the Beast as our spring musical and, as far as I have heard, we are using some form of Prosthetics. When I heard this, one thing popped into my mind--would there be bad shadows on the actor's face? So before expressing my concern to the director, i thought I would come here and ask. Would there be shadows on the actor's face (if we were just doing a front wash, for example), and if so, how would we have to light him to eliminate this? (I was thinking always lighting him with a followspot...but that would look weird cause he'd be the only one always lit) Thanks in advance!

Are we talking prosthetics on the Beast? Are they on the face or are we talking something like a fat suit? If we are talking about shadows on the face of the beast, is that a bad thing? What is the prosthetic made out of? Just curious.

Are we talking prosthetics on the Beast? Are they on the face or are we talking something like a fat suit? If we are talking about shadows on the face of the beast, is that a bad thing? What is the prosthetic made out of? Just curious.

I really don't know much about them, other than the fact that we are using them. But its a middle school production, and I know that the second most important thing for the parents (other than having a great production) is to be able to see their kids...i know that if there are bad shadows, they may not be able to see the child and/or the prosthetic and the shadow might blend in a little bit.

Edit: Yes, we are talking about on the Beast.

Figure out what it will actually be... bigger nose, chin... etc.... odds are they will not be doing forehead because they are a pain to do, it will probably be nose and chin, maybe some eye stuff. If they makeup is done correctly it should not be an issue. Otherwise, just roll with it. This is the exact reason for all of those out there who want to go to school for lighting that you have to take makeup class....

Having worked B & B last summer, I can say that you probably will have shadows, but it will be an improvement on the actual look of the Beast. Unfortunately I dont have ant pics of him that would be useful to demonstrate it.:( But yes, you will have bad shodaws, but don't worry, they will probably be an improvement.

In fact, the only good pic I have from that production was of the gobo I made for it.

He is supposed to be dark and creepy...he's a beast!!!!!!

Exactly. Depending on what and how the prosthetic is done it probably will create some shadows on the face. But they will just accentuate the creepy factor of the prosthetic. I say don't worry about it, it'll be a good thing.

If the prosthetics are done well there shouldn't be an issue. Talk to the people in charge of them. The only issue I see would be if they enlarged the forhead or brow, as you then run the risk of getting some shadows in the eyes.

If they are enlarging the brow area, you may want to think about just having a flatter-then-normal frontlight system (normal being 45' or so) to cut under the brow and still light his eyes. However, more then likley they'll just give him a biger nose or chin, in which case I wouldn't worry about it.

And in middle school, the first priority is for mommie and daddy to see their kid. Second priority is for them to video tape their kid. Third is to take beautiful flash photography, and the fourth priority is to have a good show.

If the prosthetics are done well there shouldn't be an issue. Talk to the people in charge of them. The only issue I see would be if they enlarged the forhead or brow, as you then run the risk of getting some shadows in the eyes.
If they are enlarging the brow area, you may want to think about just having a flatter-then-normal frontlight system (normal being 45' or so) to cut under the brow and still light his eyes. However, more then likley they'll just give him a biger nose or chin, in which case I wouldn't worry about it.
And in middle school, the first priority is for mommie and daddy to see their kid. Second priority is for them to video tape their kid. Third is to take beautiful flash photography, and the fourth priority is to have a good show.

Flash Photography? I thought that was something we don't want them to take.

Beauty and the Beast allows for dark scenes to tell the story and make the palace spooky, as well as opportunities to light up the scenes and let the kids show. As far as the Beast goes, he gets a grand reveal at the end as the prosthetic is thrown off and he becomes the prince again. Take advantage of that, and don't worry about the shadows.

I lit a production a couple of years ago with all high-school and middle-school cast in a summer youth musical series in Texas. I used this approach and received nothing but kudos.

Good Luck!

Jim Elliott
Production Manager
The Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts
Amarillo, TX

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the imput. I guess i won't worry about it unless it gets extremely bad or the director says something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back