Protecting a Macbook Pro

I'm going to use my Macbook Pro on my next musical and while the booth is a relatively safe place, given the nature of live theater I think some protection might be a good idea. Is it possible to buy a small flightcase or hard-shell briefcase I could keep it in without spending exorbitant amounts of money? Any recommendations? Or has everyone else been fine with a backpack or soft case?

If you're worried about cheap, how about building a quick plywood box? That and a little foam and/or felt lining should keep it safe when not in use.

Honestly, I would probably just leave my toys at home. IF you must bring it in, don't ever leave it unattended. Ever. That should be protection enough.

I had a polycarbonate shell that I kept mine in for a while. (last MBP before the unibodies) It did a reasonably good job of protecting it from short falls and scratches. I don't use it anymore because it made it run hot. Get a well padded case to carry it in. I have a backpack from Targus, which protects it really well. I know a guy who has an armored briefcase that he carries his in. It's pretty cool, he carries most of his stuff in it.

If you are worried about it walking off, get something like this:
Amazon.com: Kensington 64068F MicroSaver Notebook Lock and Security Cable (PC/Mac): Electronics

I'd like to see a road case built specifically for a Macbook Pro. I might actually use that...

Pelican makes some great cases that you can get used on ebay for not all that much.

If you must take it, keep it locked up at all times and locked either in a completly controlled room or chained to something in the building. Get a Kensington style lock as well.

Targus DEFCON® Laptop Security
Amazon.com: CablesToBuy™ 3.5 Ft (1.06 M) Laptop Notebook Security Cable Lock With 2 Keys: Electronics

If you have to bring it...try a Laptop lock or a GPS lojack device.. A brief case can walk easier...and while most theaters will have some kind of cable or bolt cutter--that would require time...something most thieves do not like.

Some systems even come with alarms like you find in stores.. this one is 110db siren for $25.
2 ft. Laptop Cable w/Alarm by Corporate Travel Safety - Laptop Security Gear - CorporateTravelSafety.com

goooood luck....

-w

In your info section it says you are a middle school student. This was my main reason for my saying "leave it at home". Just doesn't seem like a very safe place. Obviously though, that's up to you! :)

I'd have to agree with Les, if you are in middle school. I am curious as to what you are using it for as well though.

Are you concerned about damage during use? Leaving it in the booth between uses and avoiding theft? Protection when transporting it? Each of these may suggest a different solution and the fact that you're getting recommendations from security cables to cases to leaving it at home indicates that your goal(s) may not be clear.

I have a 15" MBP of the generation right before the unibody models and keep it a Pelican 1490 laptop case. I have loaded it into trucks with other cases many times and it has always survived. We have a PowerBook G4 that travels in a custom built Olympic road case that is arguably even more fortified. The Olympic case is really heavy and would be bad for daily carry but is ok if you throw it on top of another case as a rider. The Pelican is lightweight enough to carry it all the time.

Okay, I should clarify. (I'm actually a freshman now but that's beside the point). I primarily use it for QLab/iTunes, but for my next show I'm thinking of acting on a suggestion here to use IM between the A2 backstage and the booth. Will definitely buy a security cable for the whatever we use backstage, if this happens.

Theft and damage are both concerns; given that our booth is completely separate from the stage and all but 3 people would have to be significantly far away from where they're supposed to be to steal anything from it, I don't think that's particularly likely. I have to leave it vulnerable because students don't have keys and I can't go get the tech director every time I use the bathroom, but I'd take it home with me at the end of every night.

As far as damage, it's sitting on a desk, so besides the room being crowded, I don't anticipate much danger. I may have just answered my own question, but I know theater is notoriously hard on laptops, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what level of protection is normal. I think thank may come more from traveling, though.

Get a good lock, many of the more common laptop locks can be defeated with a pencap still, or just hitting it enough if your desperate. Also if you're worried about it that much you could always emulate a security rig akin to most large electrionics stores where a bar is secured over the screen hinge area to prevent the laptop from being removed from the desk more than a 1/4 inch or so. Those take a little more work/time to defeat than most people would want to risk, of course that means a few extra minutes to pack it up each night.

If you are mainly worried about it walking away from you when you make a trip to the loo and whatnot, the easiest suggestion may be to simply get a cheap messenger bag or something and keep it on you at all times. As for damage while in a semi-secluded booth, I wouldn't really anticipate much of a problem, but you know your situation best.

These are upper-class suburban middle school students (I'm in high school now but it's a middle school shoow). Our theft is mostly opportunistic, and it'd take a professional, really, to pick a lock and walk off with a computer in less time than it takes me to use the bathroom, while nobody in the house notices you're somewhere you shouldn't be.

However, I like the idea of just taking it with me a lot better - simpler and cheaper. I will do this. Thanks.

As for damage while in a semi-secluded booth, I wouldn't really anticipate much of a problem

That is all I needed to hear. I just was wondering if I should be worried, but I'm not, so I won't start now. Thanks.

I recommend going with a Speck polycarbonate case (keeps the dings na scratches at bay). MBPs run hot either way, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Then, get one of these to put on your keyboard (whichever one suits your laptop).

After that, get a Hardigg Storm case.

Oh, and NEVER leave it in the car while visiting Washington DC.

Jordan "had his MBP stolen in DC" Wolf

These are upper-class suburban middle school students (I'm in high school now but it's a middle school shoow). Our theft is mostly opportunistic, and it'd take a professional, really, to pick a lock and walk off with a computer in less time than it takes me to use the bathroom, while nobody in the house notices you're somewhere you shouldn't be.

However, I like the idea of just taking it with me a lot better - simpler and cheaper. I will do this. Thanks.

That is all I needed to hear. I just was wondering if I should be worried, but I'm not, so I won't start now. Thanks.

I'll just leave this here :rolleyes: ...

a suggestion for future use anyways. Look to get a locking briefcase type deal, and get your self some coated Aircraft cable with molded loops (think bike chain) and a combination pad lock so you can lock your laptop in the case, then lock the case to anything you can put the aircraft cable around. Your parents might think this a great "gift" to you to help protect the money they spent on your Lappy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back