Protecting an ETC RVI

rylethorn

Hi all,

I was wondering what your thoughts on getting a rack case for an RVI are. Is it a good idea or is it a waste of money? Or would it make more sense to purchase a foam filled case that it sits in until it is needed, when it then sits on a table for the LD.

Thanks,
J

We keep our RVIs in rack cases with a power conditioner and a keyboard drawer. Makes setup very simple, all we have to do is pop the covers, plug in the power conditioner, displays and network. The case keeps envy thing contained and protected, I think they were worthwhile purchases.

As Icewolf stated, this is what I would do:

[SNIP]

I think it depends a lot on how your designers like to work and how much space you have. Most of my designers want to have as uninhibited view of the stage as possible, so I put the RVI itself under the tech table, and just have one or two monitors they can move around as needed. This case is tall, and putting the keyboard drawer in it makes it so that the case would want to be on the table, with a monitor either on top (can't really see over that stack) or next to (in which case your view is blocked in multiple directions). If you have enough tech table space that you can plop the RVI in front of an assistant and turn a monitor towards the designer, this obviously becomes less of an issue.

I think it depends a lot on how your designers like to work and how much space you have. Most of my designers want to have as uninhibited view of the stage as possible, so I put the RVI itself under the tech table, and just have one or two monitors they can move around as needed. This case is tall, and putting the keyboard drawer in it makes it so that the case would want to be on the table, with a monitor either on top (can't really see over that stack) or next to (in which case your view is blocked in multiple directions). If you have enough tech table space that you can plop the RVI in front of an assistant and turn a monitor towards the designer, this obviously becomes less of an issue.
A couple things. My racks are only 4U. We have a 1U Furman, 1U keyboard drawer, and 2U RVI. My setup was never intended to operate directly in front of the user with the keyboard in the drawer. Each of my RVI setups is equipped with 10' DVI and IEC cables for displays, as well as USB extensions for the keyboard and mouse. This allows for the rack to be placed out of the LDs line of sight. Of course our lighting tech table is also 4'x8'...

This setup makes it super simple to set up at the tech tables or anywhere in the house the LD wants to sit. I did consider putting a rack mount comms box in the setup, but then it would have to be within reach all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back