Protocols?

Radman

I want to start working on an application to control lighting products via networking, in particularly ETCNet2, but ACN would work too. Heck if I remember right, aren't ACN and ETCNet2 essentially the same? I don't know. Anyways the specs for ACN are $40, but I thought they used to have a draft out that was free. Does anyone still have the draft they are willing to share? Or know where it is? And if anyone can explain how ETCNet works, that would be godly. I'm experienced in programming, but I'm new to networking. I should be able to pick that up pretty quick though. But what I need to know is what to put in the packets!

EDIT: I found this but I don't know what exactly it is. It was interesting though! http://www.lewlight.com/citp/

And if anyones interested in knowing more about what I'm planning, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
ETC net3 runs the ACN standard from what ETC is currently saying. I would not build it to do etcnet2, because I don't think that it is a fully published protocol. I believe that shownet, artnet, and etcnet2 are all closed protocols, so i don't think you can get your hands on them. ACN would be your best bet, but there are few pieces of gear that can currently accept it because it was put through just a few months ago. For right now, I would put the ACN functionality in, but I would also make it work with the Entec widget.

I always forget that the Express series is Net1. Net1 kinda sucks! I think I'm gonna change my plan, and unless I find info on Net2, I think I'm gonna change my plans to use ACN or similar, and a USB DMX interface.

ETC net3 runs the ACN standard from what ETC is currently saying. I would not build it to do etcnet2, because I don't think that it is a fully published protocol. I believe that shownet, artnet, and etcnet2 are all closed protocols, so i don't think you can get your hands on them. ACN would be your best bet, but there are few pieces of gear that can currently accept it because it was put through just a few months ago. For right now, I would put the ACN functionality in, but I would also make it work with the Entec widget.
I would use Net2 to be able to interface with Sensor racks.

Yep, I've been looking at that.

In a word, Artnet.
More info here:
http://www.artisticlicence.com/download.htm

Lets see.. it is a nativly supported output for the following consoles:
Avo Diamond 4
Chamsys magicQ
Martin Maxxyz
Jands Vista
Vari-Lite/PRG Vitruoso (Artnet coming soon)

I'm sure there are more that support it as well.

Most media servers accept (or require) art-net in,
High End DL-2's accept Artnet
A number of artnet to dmx boxes are made by Artistic license, Luminex, Fleenor, Enttec and others.

It is the native transport protocol in the PRG Series 400 distrubution system.

It is the most widely supported multi-vendor ethernet lighting protocol currently in the field

Hope this helps
Ronald Beal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back