Automated Fixtures PS 5R equivalent of Martin or other?

I've tried the "used" route of pro fixtures (HES SS 575) and had terrible luck with the four units I purchased (probably the source they came from). I have recently sold them and I am looking for two new units of "lower" quality I suppose.
I use Elation Emulation software on a Mac with a Midicon.
I have been looking at the Elation Platinum Spot 5R.
What would be the equivalent or similar Martin fixture to the PS 5R as far as output?
I've also considered some Chauvet moving spots.
I would like something as close to the HES SS 575 output as I can get, but I know it may be less with the fixtures I'm currently considering. I am fine with that.
I do not need CMY or zoom features.
I would like the ability to use at least one custom B/W gobo (preferably glass).
I would like prism effect, multiple rotating gobos, and a good set of stock gobos provided.
I'm hoping to be around the ballpark of $2k per fixture. At this time I only want two fixtures. Then I will add two more of the same fixture at a later date.
Let me hear your opinions!
Thank you!

You're on the right track with that PlatinumSpot5R. I've used them for years in community/semi-pro theatre, very versatile, only a few small problems over the years (one stopped zooming- no worries for you though- you don't want zoom) (one has a finicky gobo wheel that reseats after reset). Intensity was acceptable covering a throw distance of 45 feet even when using the "variable" frost filter. What are you lighting? I couldn't live without my CMY, but our local theatre leaves alot to be desired so the Platinums are my go to fixtures in most cues.

Additionally- I have heard good things about the Rogue/R1/R2 series, but I haven't tried them.

Some people have had great luck with the Platinum Spots. I've had bad luck. With the regular Platinum Spot 5Rs, the PS5R Pros, the PS15R Pros. They may have improved, but a few years back the manufacturing tolerances were way off. Additionally, the gobos are actually about the size of a dime, and the light output isn't really there. If you go with the Rogue R2 Spots, I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed. I just tested in 28 Rogue series (mix of R2 spots and washes) for an install, and there wasn't a single issue. On the contrary, all 3 installs of Elation Platinum line I've done have had major issues. In another situation, I had a rental of 12 units, and one of them died completely. Wasn't able to resuscitate it. I've heard some pretty bad things from other people as well. The optical train is also almost a joke, partially because of the size of the gobos. They had to do a lot to fit so many functions in to a fixture that small, and it shows. You can't focus on a gobo and bring in the iris, among other things. The intensity gets knocked out so much by the color mixing as well.

As for the Rogues, another production company that I know also just bought a dozen each of R2 spots and washes, and they love them. There's also @Pie4Weebl, who's had great success with his 10 Rogue R1 spots.

The R2 checks off every box on your list. I used some in a venue with huge skylights, and I was shocked that I could clearly focus during the day. I have not compared side by side, but I think they are at least comparable to a 575w arc fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back