PTZ Camera for theater setting

Will Blair

Has anyone come across a decent PTZ camera and desk that works in a theater setting? Something with an adjustable exposure? It would be used for a live shot in a show so it needs to be at least 720p.

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
How far away will it be from the stage? I had found a decent one, but not for the distance.

Reactions: RonHebbard

danTt

I'm assuming budget is a concern? The Panasonic HE130 is sort of a standard, but not cheap

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia

eadler

Jay Ashworth

We've got a couple PTZOptics 20x SDI's in here, and they're decent; they blow out on highlights a bit if you don't light *for them*. They're supposed to have manual iris, but I think ours need a firmware update, cause the knob for that doesn't seem to adjust anything.

They're not horrible for $1600, but I'd have preferred a bit better.

They have 12x and 30x models too, and USB/HDMI out depending on your needs.

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
This is the camera that I did a demo with. It is about $1500 without the controller. It was an amazing camera, but not at the 135' distance that I needed.

• Love

Jay Ashworth

If you need to shoot 135 feet to the stage, you're gonna have a hard time, I suspicion, getting a camera that will give you clean small moves at that distance even if you're spending $15k for just the mount from Telemetrics...

eadler

They're supposed to have manual iris, but I think ours need a firmware update, cause the knob for that doesn't seem to adjust anything.
In looking/using in the past, I've noticed a few VISCA-controlled PTZs that "manual iris" is really a +/- adjust on the auto *or* there's a menu or DIP switch option to change it between a +/- and true manual. Now that I think about it, I think there's actually a setting on our controller to change the control mode...

macsound

We've got a couple PTZOptics 20x SDI's in here, and they're decent; they blow out on highlights a bit if you don't light *for them*. They're supposed to have manual iris, but I think ours need a firmware update, cause the knob for that doesn't seem to adjust anything.

They're not horrible for $1600, but I'd have preferred a bit better.

They have 12x and 30x models too, and USB/HDMI out depending on your needs.
Do you know if the USB (or other) models can be used with a software controller or do you always need their control surface?

eadler

"The camera can be controlled via the LAN port over a network, ONVIF over a network, and RS-232 via VISCA commands."

Users who are viewing this thread