Wireless Purchase info for Antenna Distro for Shure SLX4 J3/H5 (12 receivers)

NickVon

I'm looking into this solution for a group which uses our space and has 12 Shure SLX Wireless units w/ body packs and the the default "lav/attach" mics (the little square ones)

We started to run into some RF issues when actors are down stage and the chorus or others get between the performer and the wireless rack. The lowest wireless receiver is kept at about 2 feet above stage level back stage behind the Cyc SL. The Futherst distance to an actor is about 35 feet. Some one here did a nice channel listing for best performance and it didn't improve the reliably of the RF. At the moment I have 2 that for what ever reason "persons" between the receiver and antennas seem to make them cut out more often and more predictably.

My fist immediate suggestion is for them to purchase a longer 12 channel snake so that we can get the receiver units like 8 feet in the air Center stage. and put them stacked on top of a my AMP rack and Sub or other structure behind the cyc.

I guess step 2 would be an antenna distro of some some sort which is what i'm turning to you smart folks for.

Price is a concern as they don't like to spend money much at all. At 1500$ is an all inclusive solution even remotely possible with SHURE's all in one do hickies +RF cable +sharkfins? Would something like only 2 boxes or 1 box with passive/combiners splitters work? I'm out of my knowledge base when it comes to figuring out RF distro for a system. I just know how to plug the antennas in and make it work when I get a road system. :-/

the two units I having the period RFdrop out with are
Mic 4 ( H5, 531.750mhz 5,7 (group,Chan)
Mic 5 ( H5, 534.275mhz 1,9 (group,Chan)
Mic 6 ( J3, 577.425mhz 6,3 (group,Chan)

Full equipment is (7) H5 band
(5) J3 band

I re-tuned Mic 4 to something in the 529.00 range and it's been working better.
I adjusted Mic 5 up to the 539.00 range and it is working better but still cuts out when the actor puts his body between the pack the the receivers with others in the way.
Mic 6 general works except for when 2-or more actors get between her and the receivers as well.

Thoughts and potential alternatives welcome.

My first thought is to try and work out whether you have issues in the RF domain or in the hardware domain.

Have you tried swapping Mics 4,5 & 6 out to different physical transmitter / receiver sets?
The SLXs have an external antenna, so if the packs have seen better days, their performance may not be what it used to be.

Next thing is to say how are the receivers, and particularly their antennas, arranged? Photos?
The fact that it's a continuous set of receivers makes me suspicious that it could be something to do with receiver location - antennas too close or touching maybe?

And to think of RF domain stuff, has the TV broadcast landscape of your area changed recently?

I usuually steh them like this . \ Box | |box /

\ Box | |box /
\ Box | |box /
\ Box | |box /
\ Box | |box /
\ Box | |box /
\ Box | |box /

the vertical antenna lines i have pointing at a 45 degree angle up and out.

I don't think TV has changed recently as we just the mics which are only a going on 2 years old this summer recently in January with out really an RF issues. It was a show with less kinda of song and chorus number and many moer solo's and duets. So less bodies between transmitters and antennas and less spinning around and dancing. I think I also managed to get the recievers at more like 6ft at stage level and center stage which no scenery in the way. For that show my large 12 channel sub snake stage box wasn't in use for other things as it was in this show.

Do antennas touching each other/mic cables/ o the DC power wires really have the potential to create problems?

Last edited:
Can you post your list of frequencies and also your zip code? Let's start there and make sure the list is still good. Agree with Chris also on swapping around the transmitters and receivers...if the problem follows a transmitter around, it's probably not the receiver!

At the distances you are talking about, you do NOT need any kind of amplification. All this will do is make a mess of the RF spectrum. Common antennas with distribution may help but at 35' whips should work OK too. One thought though, are the receivers by chance mounted in or blocked by any large metal objects (e.g., large metal rack)?

At the distances you are talking about, you do NOT need any kind of amplification. All this will do is make a mess of the RF spectrum.

Completely agreed. Start simply, like mbenois said, and have a check of the frequencies in your zip code. My guess is an intermod problem. Let's see if you can't solve the problem before trying to move your rack 8' higher :mrgreen:

Here is the current listing. The last 3 microphones WacA-C are our Venue mics.

Zip NJ, 07003

Mic Band Freq Group Chan
12 H5 519.100 5 1
1 - 525.050 1 4
2 - 527.775 6 5
4 - 531.750 5 7 adjusted to 529 xxx
5 - 535.275 1 9 adjusted to 539.xxx
10 - 537.550 6 9
11 - 541.800 6 12
3 j3 573.675 3 2
6 j3 577.425 6 3
7 j3 579.050 1 4
8 j3 594.325 6 11
9 j3 595.600 2 12
wacA G 592.250 Sennheiser Ew100
wacB G 583.800 Sennheiser Ew100
wacC A 522.900 Sennheiser Ew100

The receivers where sitting on a the top of small metal utility cart. They are not mounted in anything just stacked in to columns of six next to each other as standalone units.

So I've run the numbers...
We're intermod free BUT 531.750 and 535.275 are sitting on channel 24, WNYE and 573.675 and 577.425 are sitting on channel 31, WPXN.
So that's systems 4, 5, 3 and 6, so I think we've found the problem...

Some new frequencies for you:View attachment SLX and G3 in 07003 2012-05-22.txt
But you'll have to take the SLXs into master list mode, I couldn't get enough slots using only the predefined groups. Instructions for that are on page 10 of the manual located here [pdf]http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_slx_en_ug.pdf

So I've run the numbers...
We're intermod free BUT 531.750 and 535.275 are sitting on channel 24, WNYE and 573.675 and 577.425 are sitting on channel 31, WPXN.
So that's systems 4, 5, 3 and 6, so I think we've found the problem...

Some new frequencies for you:
7036-purchase-info-antenna-distro-shure-slx4-j3-h5-12-receivers-slx-g3-07003-2012-05-22.txt

But you'll have to take the SLXs into master list mode, I couldn't get enough slots using only the predefined groups. Instructions for that are on page 10 of the manual located here [pdf]http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_slx_en_ug.pdf

Took a awhile to get back here.

Super appreciated Chris, I'll give this new info ago in July. THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back