Automated Fixtures Purchase of Moving Head Fixtures

paulslhac

Hi everyone,
Before anyone asks, YES, I have seen the previous threads regarding moving heads and nearly every one has confused me in some way.
My questions are as follows:
1. Are there any QUALITY moving head fixures available on the market that are ideal for school auditoriums (500+ seats and 4x Motorised Lighting Bars) and if so, what are they?

2. We currently have a MYDMX 2.0 usb interface for DMX control of the venue (it currently has over 30 LED cans and 24 conventional dimmers). We also have a LSC MAXIM L console. We utilise the MYDMX more as it allows for a broader range of control and is handy when it comes to moving lights. Is this the ideal method of control?
Any Reply Appreciated.
Cheers,
HP

1. Are there any QUALITY moving head fixures available on the market that are ideal for school auditoriums (500+ seats and 4x Motorised Lighting Bars) and if so, what are they?

Depends -- what do you want to use them for?

Do you have 208v power available for only 120v?

Will they be used for events that can be programmed in advance, or for events that are purely on-the-fly?

What kind of experience level are the likely programmers at? Will students be willing/able/capable of learning how to program these through your control options (console or PC)?

Have you done any research or have personal experience on how capable your console or software is on operating moving lights?

Potentially the most important question: What's your budget? Do you have a budget?

Also -- who would maintain these fixtures at the school over time? (if your answer is students -- try again.)

Hi Mike,
First of all, thanks for the quick reply!
In answer to your first question, we do a variety of shows, mainly for the school itself but also the venue is hired out to public performers. Its for that reason we are looking for a pretty multipurpose fixture. We have LED cans and Halogen profile/wash equipment already. We recently did a show with two
"Highend Technobeam Scanners" and were amazed with the versatility. (If) We go down the track of buying moving heads, we would be looking to use them as profiles (for a lectern) and also as various effect lights (gobos etc).
In answer to No.2: Im based in Australia so we run on 240v
No 3. Events are usually programmed in advance and are usually run by either myself or the Venue operations manager. Students on the odd occasion will be using the equipment in the venue for both educational purposes and to actually take charge of events.
I personally am quite comfortable with MYDMX, but miss the physical faders of a true console. The interface of MYDMX is fantastic because of its quick patching abillity and its ease of use in general.
Budget is approx $4000 AUD (I know its not very big). In terms of maintenance, as I previously mentioned, we have a full time Venue Operations Manager who would take charge of maintenance.
Hopefully this helps!
Cheers

You might look into Studio Spot and Studio Wash fixtures from High End (sometimes listed as Lightwave Research). They're really resilient, easy to work on, and fanless so they're quiet. They aren't in production anymore so you'd have to pick them up used, but used can help the budget go farther. The wattage in usually (but not always) 575W so they aren't likely to punch through your existing lighting. You'll have to decide if that's a problem for you or not.

Also please stop by the New Members forum and introduce yourself.

I've used MyDMX... and I have to say, I hate it. It's very limiting.

If you don't need to do anything fancy though, or you need something ultra simple, then it's fine.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Much appreciated! As I mentioned above, we use a large amount of LED lighting currently. Would it be worth looking at a LED moving head or the more traditional discharge lamp as 'porkchop' mentioned earlier?
At this stage, in terms of looking at lights, Im trying to toss up between a couple Martin MAC 350 Entour's (definately second hand) or something from Chauvet or Elation's range. Any ideas here?

Are you looking for something that blends with your current setup or something that stands out from it? If the LED are your primary light source a discharge lamp is going to produce a very different looking beam of light. That can be useful and it can be detrimental depending on what you're trying to achieve.

As far as manufactures go I personally would prefer fewer units of better quality as apposed to a greater number of units of a more questionable build quality. Martin makes good quality lights, not perfect by any means, but good. As you have probably already seen from searching the topic on this site quality control for Elation and Chauvet can at times leave quite a bit to be desired.

again, thanks for all the replies! At this stage we would be looking towards a profile or spot style fixture. I have however noticed on various websites, moving heads with the description of a 'beam' as opposed to a profile or wash. What is the difference?
Cheers!

again, thanks for all the replies! At this stage we would be looking towards a profile or spot style fixture. I have however noticed on various websites, moving heads with the description of a 'beam' as opposed to a profile or wash. What is the difference?
Cheers!

A beam light is a profile with a very narrow beam angle, usually under 5*. It's an effect light that looks pretty in heavy haze environments. It would be pretty worthless to you in a theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back