Putting gels in cyc

Macbeth

none of our crew knows if there is a Proper way to put our cyc gels in to the fixture. There are three frames for each one two of those are just an empty square frame and the third has some sort of screen.
So if anyone could help with putting gels into these type of fixtures that would be very helpful.

none of our crew knows if there is a Proper way to put our cyc gels in to the fixture. There are three frames for each one two of those are just an empty square frame and the third has some sort of screen.
So if anyone could help with putting gels into these type of fixtures that would be very helpful.

Um.....

You haven't given us much information here. Which fixtures is this? How old? What brand?

Perhaps some photos would help.....

--Sean

Each cyc "cell" is supposed to have a frame and safety screen. If the frames are hinged, you need to cut the correct size gel and sandwich it in and close it like any other gel frame. If they are a 2 piece frame, you have to put the gel in and use brads to fasten it together. If you have Altman's, or L&E's, yours are probably the type that need brads. If you have just a frame and there is no hinge or second piece to it (i.e. you don't have anywhere to put a gel) you are probably missing parts.

Note: cyc lamps can explode, so screens are necessary.

EDIT: I just reread your post and it sounds like you have the type that need brads. Ideally, the 2 frames that don't have the screen would be bradded together with a gel in the middle. The 2 empty frames have holes near the corners, right? Also, I know on some, the holes won't line up unless they are in a certain orientation - one can't be sideways or upside down. Safety screen goes behind the gel frame. There should be a second slot for it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
they are brand new four cells in each group im not sure what brand they are but we a ton of ETC lights
sorry about the lack of info.

isn't there a special way that the gell has to face because we were told that the fibers in the gel have to be vertical. Is there a difference between having them vertical other than horisontal (sorry i cant spell Today)

Last edited:
It depends upon the way you want the light to spread. If you put the fibers in a cyc gel going vertical, the light will spread out side to side. If you put them going horizontal,the light will spread top to bottom.

I redid the gels in my cycs recently and they burned through very quickly and the lights started blowing regularly.

So obviously they were getting too hot or something - perhaps the gel I was using wasn't letting all that much light through.

I redid the gels in my cycs recently and they burned through very quickly and the lights started blowing regularly.

So obviously they were getting too hot or something - perhaps the gel I was using wasn't letting all that much light through.

How old are these units?

I seriously doubt that the saturation of the gel significantly impacted the lamp life.

--Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back