Puzzler

Capi

Here's something I can't figure out. I have a S4 Zoom Jr. circuited into a portable dimmer pack. The pack is getting power. I used a circuit tester to check the cable from the pack to the instrument and that is also wired correctly and getting power. I used a lamp check (Edison, from BMI) to check the lamp and it says it is good. The problem: IT WON'T COME ON! I changed the lamp, still nothing. Any suggestions? And I'm pretty sure the instrument worked during our matinee this morning, but it took a dump for our evening show. I'm so confused!

What about control?

Are you controlling via DMX + console? There are some more options to check. Are you using a cheap-o ADJ dimmer pack? A lot of these have different modes, and don't default to DMX, look into that.

(P.S. If anyone from ADJ or Elation is reading this, I promise not to bash you anymore of you bribe me. Contact me for details! :twisted:)

Just a guess but is it possible the contacts are really corroded there fore the lamp wont sit properly and make contact. That would explain it is even if its all wired correctly.

Bill- What is the "fixtures connector"?
Charcoal- It's not the control, because there is power running through the cable from the pack to the fixture.
Jon- I looked at the contacts and they are some of the shiniest I have ever seen.

Any more suggestions?

PS- The fixture is not plugged directly into the pack, but uses a 10' cable to get to it.

Here's what I'd do - take the fixture, without the extenstion, and plug it straight in to the wall with an adapter. Make sure that you don't have other high-consumption devices on the electrical circuit that you're testing the fixture on. if that works, cool, your problem is somewhere in the cable or the dimmer pack. So take the cable and now put the cable between the fixture and the wall adapter (all of this is assuming that you have a properly wired, working edison adapter), and if the fixture still works, you know that the problem is in the dimmer pack or the data run. If the fixture doesn't work when you plug it in to the wall for the first time, you have a bad fixture, but if it works the first time but then doesn't work with the extension, it's the extension.

Hope that helps.

What BillESC meant was to check the fixture's plug. We had a Source Four in high school that was marked "non-working" for several years until I decided to check the connector and that's where the problem was. One loose screw.

When you trouble shoot anything start in the middle and work towards either side. In this case the 1st action should be pluging the light into another power source. If it lights up then the problem lies in the dimmer. If not it is in the light.

Now you can trace it back another step. If the fixture does not light up try a new lamp or continuity check the lamp if the lamp fails its the lamp- it it passes then the problem lies in the wiring.

If the light worked when it was plugged into another source and the issue is the dimmer pack, plug something straight into the pack- no extensions if it works then the problem is the cable. if not it is the dimmer for sure.

My gut is telling me to meter the power coming out of the dimmer pack. I have a feeling that if it a lesser quality pack off might not be 0 volts and it might be 'leaking' some or preheating if that is an option. Enough to light up a tester but not enough to light up a lamp. If thats the case the problem lies in the addressing of the pack up the dimemr it self. I have seen chauvet (sp) packs with blown circuits do to over draw.

My gut is telling me to meter the power coming out of the dimmer pack. I have a feeling that if it a lesser quality pack off might not be 0 volts and it might be 'leaking' some or preheating if that is an option. Enough to light up a tester but not enough to light up a lamp. If thats the case the problem lies in the addressing of the pack up the dimemr it self. I have seen chauvet (sp) packs with blown circuits do to over draw.

I like this idea. Try taking another instrument that you know to be good and plugging it directly into the dimmer pack... or for that matter just check the voltage with a meter.

I love this forum. I can post something in the middle of the night and have 8 responses in 2 hours. I'll try that tomorrow.

Many of us live here. I have a nice cot in the back of the prop shop. Van sleeps on the table saw. Charc sleeps in the booth at his ADJ control console. You'll find Derek under the meat rack. Icewolf sleeps in his chair in the office. WhatRigger? sleeps up there... somewhere he can't disclose the exact location. Ship sleeps on a bed of burnt out lamps waiting to be recycled. Being downunder, Logos and Hughesie come in while the rest of us are sleeping and try to work around the bodies.

Last edited:
Many of us live here. I have a nice cot in the back of the prop shop. Van sleeps on the table saw. Charc sleeps in the booth at his ADJ control console. You'll find Derek under the meat rack. Icewolf sleeps in his chair in the office. WhatRigger? sleeps up there... somewhere he can't disclose the exact location. Ship sleeps on a bed of burnt out lamps waiting to be recycled. Being downunder, Logos and Hughesie come in while the rest of us are sleeping and try to work around the bodies.

Oooh oooh do me do me.
JH

Even if the bulb checks good, it can still be the bulb! I had something like that happen. The bulb looked perfect, checked ok, but sometimes the fixture wouldn't work. In a quartz lamp, the lead wires go from the contacts, to the ribbons squished in the envelope, then back to wires that feed the filament. Some funky stuff can happen right in that path that makes the bulb a "Phantom Bulb." Good luck!

Continued by popular demand...

Jonhirsh can be found in the greenroom drinking all night long endlessly watching "The Doodlebops"... hear him softly crying saying "Why God? Why did I do it?" Occasionally he runs from the room yelling "GET THEM OUT OF MY HEAD!!"

Grog is passed out on the floor nearby it's unclear if he's been drinking or knocked out by the remote beer launcher Footer installed on the fridge. Footer left the theater several hours ago laughing and hasn't been seen since.

Eboy and PieWeebl are out at a concert and won't be seen until 4am. None of the rest of us are cool enough to know who the band is or what kind of music they even play so we stay behind and listen to "Captain Bogg and Salty" all night long instead. Pieces of 8!

And good old Phil the "AVKid" is out on the prowl until the wee hours of the morning. No one knows exactly where he's goes or what he does but he always falls asleep at the sound desk at 2am.

Thanks to all! After checking the lamp and the cable once more, I changed out the pack and that fixed the problem. Thanks for all the advice in such a short time!

Do I get to know how I live on controlbooth too?

Who's with me on the motto:
"Sleep is for the weak."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back