The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

PVC and Fog

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by simchapup, Mar 6, 2007.

1. simchapup

simchapup Lighting Technician

I am doing beauty and the beast in a couple months i was wondering if i took pvc and drilled holes in it and placed it on the bottom of the stage if it would create a fog curtain

2. TupeloTechie

TupeloTechie Active Member

the pvc would have to be enleast 4"

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Also, you will have to force the fog through at a high rate of speed with compressed air or something of that sort. Odds are you will not get the effect you want, you might want to go with a Co2 alternative.

4. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    I've done this effect before, you can make it work. You will need a 4" Pvc pipe. Do not try to drill your own holes simply go purchase "perforated 4"PVc" this is available at any home store, and is primarily used as lateral lines on septic tanks and drain tubes for french drains.
    Ok, suspend you pipe over the area in question, Attach a chiller module, and a fogger as spec'd in previous posts on here. Viola. You are going to want some kind of fan or impeller inline with this install. If you want the fog to rise from the bottom of the stage it's not going to work quite as well. and you'll want to use a longer hang-time fog.

5. BillESC

BillESC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Van is correct about purchasing the 4" PVC with the holes already in it. We built a fog curtain using the same pipe but also installed 1" PVC nipples with epoxy into the holes. The nipples directed the fog straight down and also help creat back pressure. For fog we used a Fog-it Dry ice fog machine.

6. jmabray

jmabray Active Member

Also - If you are using a fog machine, you will want to not put the fog machine right up against the PVC pipe. If you back it off about 2 - 3 inches - the fog will still go in the pipe, and you will get a much better volume of fog. I don't know the physics behind this exactly, but when you allow the fog to interact with the cooler air, it just works better.

Jeff

7. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Anytime you use a fog machine and couple it to hose, pipe, or any other ducting material you must include space between the body of the fog machine and and the ductwork. Rosco manufactures a device expressly for this purpose. It allows the hot fog to combine with cooler air which causes a better encapsulation of liquid particles in the air. It also creates what is known as the "venturi effect" in which the fog rushing in pulls an equal volume of air into the pipe. This increases the the over all fog effect and leads to much happiness.

8. chrizEHS

chrizEHS Member

I know its seems basic but someone nearly burned our auditorium down a few years ago by doing this, most professional smoke machines will have a venting gap and then another ring. Avioid the impulse to gaff tape it up to stop the leakage. Some leakge is needed to draw air into the system to force the fog out. Always check it during tech to make sure nothing gets too hot. Good luck smoke is tricky to work with.

CJ

9. len

len Well-Known Member

10. Adam Brock

Adam Brock New Member

Hello everybody I wonder if anyone could be any help. (I am new to forums so unsure if this is the right place to ask)

I use a smoke machine which is connected to a PVC pipe which works fantastically but I have issues with the smoke fluid (From what I can gather) condensating and dripping out of the end of the PVC pipe

Have any of you had this issue before? And what could stop the smoke from dripping?

11. Les

Les Well-Known Member Premium Member

Do you have a ~2" air gap between the fog machine nozzle and the pipe? If not, try that. Otherwise, maybe something to catch the fluid at the other end. Fog is a particulate and it will return to its liquid state no matter what; it's just that normally, it has more surface area (an entire room) so it goes un-noticed.