PVC "Electrics"?

microstar

So I recently caught sight of Sched. 80 black-painted PVC "Electrics" pipes in a performing arts center being replaced with 1.5" Sched. 40 iron pipe.
Had been dead-hung in place for over 20 years and obviously installed by the building's electrical contractor. Apparently someone finally got concerned enough
that it was deforming due to heat from the multitude of S4 PAR downlight and a few S4 ellipsoidals! Maybe the spec just said 1.5" pipe. DSC08436.JPG

OMG!

Definitely a, they don’t make it like they used to situation.

I can't decide which I'd rather have less, PVC electrics, or PVC compressed air distribution.

Well, at least the batten is electrically non-conductive. But I wonder if one then has to use those c-clamps with the short length of wire (you know the ones that you're supposed to tie to ground but no one ever does).

A guy on Farcebook built a ladder stand for some movers out of PVC pipe. He was somewhat roundly condemned for it, but he said it was fine as he knew to only hang one or two LED pars and a lightweight mover on it.

Well, he might, but others?

A guy on Farcebook built a ladder stand for some movers out of PVC pipe. He was somewhat roundly condemned for it, but he said it was fine as he knew to only hang one or two LED pars and a lightweight mover on it.

Well, he might, but others?
Once upon a time, in a church basement venue with three FOH pipes over the audience, I ran ~10' of 1.25" black PVC between two of the FOH pipes by placing it atop them then figure eight-ing black electrician's tape around either end purely to take the swag out of one run of 12/3 SJO. When I entered the venue six months later, others had hung an S4 Junior Zoom in the middle of my cable support.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The creative powers of the chaotic masses cannot be underestimated. And I venture we have all done OMG things at points in our career that seemed just fine at the time, but now make us gasp and cringe. One such for me was a volunteer deployment, mounting some pretty heavy EAW house mains on ball-joint supports in a HOW, sans safety cables. When I realized the problem with it many years later, I contacted the HOW several times to express concern and suggest they improve it - I just got an uh-huh response both times.

The creative powers of the chaotic masses cannot be underestimated. And I venture we have all done OMG things at points in our career that seemed just fine at the time, but now make us gasp and cringe. One such for me was a volunteer deployment, mounting some pretty heavy EAW house mains on ball-joint supports in a HOW, sans safety cables. When I realized the problem with it many years later, I contacted the HOW several times to express concern and suggest they improve it - I just got an uh-huh response both times.
Clearly they have faith in higher powers.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back