Pyrotechnics

Edrick

Premium Member
Well I'm finally back on track for getting my license for doing Pyro. Just got back from a 4 hour company meeting and got all my paper work filled out. Got the big ok from the ATF last week in the mail that I'm cleared to work with explosives under the company. Now 10 shows in 3 years and to take a test and hopefully I'll be licensed. Then I want to continue on further and work on actual special effects for films and such.

Well I'm finally back on track for getting my license for doing Pyro. Just got back from a 4 hour company meeting and got all my paper work filled out. Got the big ok from the ATF last week in the mail that I'm cleared to work with explosives under the company. Now 10 shows in 3 years and to take a test and hopefully I'll be licensed. Then I want to continue on further and work on actual special effects for films and such.

Congratulations, I hope to be able to watch some of your pyro effects. May I ask how you came about getting involved with pyro in your area. I know its extremely different from state to state but I'm trying to find information about South Dakota's Pyro licensing and I haven't found diddly.

A few years back I had looked on a Yahoo Group for Pyro and I posted looking to see if anyone had some info for me. So I got a response from a local company and worked a New Years 08' show out on the Vinyard, but then I moved to Florida and that ended that. I made a documentary on a company down in Orlando called Orlando Special Effects In The Name Of Art on Vimeo

I moved back to Boston last May and I've been saying since then man I wish I could remember their contact info. Well luckily last month I got an e-mail saying they needed everyones information again as they were redoing all their records. So luckily I ended up getting back in touch with them and they had their meeting today. They ended up merging with American Thunder Fireworks which covers new England so that's a nice thing as they've got a crew of 100+. So here's to hoping everything works out!

I am trying to find a pyro that is best fitting to build into a model shotgun, do any of you guys know which will be the cheapest but most effective to use? it will need to set off by the person holding it as well thats the thing... HELP???

I am trying to find a pyro that is best fitting to build into a model shotgun, do any of you guys know which will be the cheapest but most effective to use? it will need to set off by the person holding it as well thats the thing... HELP???

Everything that you are planning on doing for this effect -- STOP. If you were just doing a pyro effect on stage, you would need to hire a professional. If you were just using a replica firearm on stage (in Canada at least) you would need your Possession and Acquisition License. If you wanted to do a hybrid of these two things, you are WELL into an area where you need professional expertise. Please DON'T try to do this yourself.

Last edited:
No, no, no, and..... NO! Did you not read the forum rules when you joined?!

I inquired with FDNY to get a Pyro license for our theater - They said NYC will not license anyone who has not worked for a professional company (like Grucci) for several years. And, assuming that one could do that, each pyro effect must be signed off by FDNY. So....no open flames on stage without a licensed pyro guy. Also, they will never permit it for non-professional theater. Oh well, back to light and sound queues.

I inquired with FDNY to get a Pyro license for our theater - They said NYC will not license anyone who has not worked for a professional company (like Grucci) for several years. And, assuming that one could do that, each pyro effect must be signed off by FDNY. So....no open flames on stage without a licensed pyro guy. Also, they will never permit it for non-professional theater. Oh well, back to light and sound queues.

I can only speak to the sequence of events from back when I did a lot of pyro, there is a sequence to this but it is company based as compared to venue based:
1) Part of an established company
2) Training
3) Obtain ATF explosives license
4) Obtain insurance for your company.
Only at this stage can you approach the venue issue. Codes are very varied, but you have to obtain local permits. To do so, you have to have the other 4 stages in place. A permit will be up to the judgment of the local Fire Marshal, but they will want to see that you are trained, have a license, and a nice insurance company to sue. The procedure is very hard on a traveling show. On the other hand, a specific venue can have a good working relationship with the local authorities (Think Disney.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back