QL5 custom layer question

Jay Ashworth

I've mostly got the QL5 tamed in my newest venue (though there's gotta be a better way to safe the scenes than using the mac app...), but I do have one question the manual doesn't speak to:

There's a "Clear All" button in the Custom Fader Layer setup dialog, for each group (1-16, 17-32, LR), but I can't find any way to clear *just a single fader* -- I programmed too many channels on the layer and I'd prefer the extras go away; the meters are distracting, since they're patched to active inputs.

Yes, I know, I could just change the input setting, but I'd still like to take the channels off the layer, and I'd also like to not have to reprogram the entire block. Is that possible?

I literally have no idea what you mean then, either a custom fader is assigned to a channel or it isn't. The steps I gave you were to remove a fader from the custom fader layer, but I guess I'm confused at what you're trying to do if it isn't that.

When you're in the Custom Fader dialogue screen tap on the custom fader you want to clear, it'll open up a patching screen, tap again on the channel that is patched and it will clear - the same way you'd clear an input patch.
This is the correct answer.

As for scene safes, there are multiple tabs in the scene recall window. Everything that's in the app, plus more, is there. Selective recall is fantastic for theatre, once you get a workflow you like setup. I like scenes to recall anything I do or might want recalled. I use channel recall safes during the rehearsal process. I may not want EQ to recall during tech rehearsal (still dialing in), but later have it recall scene by scene for specific changes. Best part, if you want to do it another way there's plenty of flexibility to do that.

Mike

Sadly, Mike, it's not the answer.

On custom fader layer b1, I have two groups of 16 plus the Masters. In each of those three groups, I have a clear all button which unassign channels from all 16, or two, of the faders in that block of that custom fader layer. But I don't want to unassign all 16 and then reassign 13 of them. I want to clear the assignments of three channels I don't need to three faders I wish to be unassigned.

That's a different thing from what everyone is telling me how to do, which I already knew how to do.

I didn't have to assign all 16 faders in that second block, and if I had not, then three of them would simply be unassigned. I'm trying to find out how to get a single custom fader in a block in a layer to become unassigned without having to hit the clear all button and unassign all 16 of them, and then reassign 13 of them.

I'm trying to find out how to get a single custom fader in a block in a layer to become unassigned without having to hit the clear all button and unassign all 16 of them, and then reassign 13 of them.
And I told you exactly how to unassign a single custom fader. Setup > User Setup > User Defined Keys, tap on the channel that's assigned, it will open up a patching dialogue, tap on the channel that is currently tagged to the custom fader, and it will un-assign itself from the custom fader. The exact same method you'd use to assign or un-assign an input or output patch but in the Custom Fader dialogue screen.

Yamaha video on the subject skip to 1 minute in, they show you the patching screen in question, but you just tap a second time to un-assign.

Last edited:
Yup; you're right. I misread it entire. That's pretty magical a thing to be undocumented in the manual, though.

Perhaps they mention it in the "how to patch a channel" section, but not in the "how to assign a fader to a layer" section.

It's still counterintuitive, though, since Faders (the thing you assign to slots on a layer) are a level removed from Channels, which are the things which have patches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back