QLAB Black Flash

I am setting up the projections of the Addams' Family using QLAB. I have a problem with auto-follow, though: several of the cues have a black flash when they begin. Here is a video of the problem (the flash happens at 8.2 seconds):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That looks like a dropped frame. Is the input (video clip) set to the same frame rate as the output?

Does it happen outside of QLAB?

Did you get the video components from Broadway Motion Design. It looks like there file naming convention. (Now called something different I think). I did a production of Marry Poppins using their video package. and had similar issues on just a couple of the cues. If I recall, I actually encountered it when linking a "static/looping" clip to one of there "Fade out clips." BMD should be your first call though, you should have an account rep for your 'rental' that should be able to address this. Let us know how you make out.

You may want to try adjusting the start or end times of the cues by a frame or two. I had a similar problem with a video that I wanted to hold at the end: QLab didn't like the last frame in the file for some reason, but the next-to-last was fine (...possibly for a valid reason, I just didn't take the time to figure that out exactly since the quick fix worked). It's hard to tell whether what you're seeing is the end of the first cue or the start of the second.

Yet another trick is to layer each video on top of the last with an opacity of 100%, then delay the fade of the bottom layer to the cue following the active one. That way the outgoing cue doesn't contribute anything odd to the fade in of the incoming cue.

Thanks to all who replied. I have contacted BMD and they are supposed to have a technician call me. None of the video files have a black frame at their beginning or end. I have already tried adjusting the timing (as Malabaristo suggested), but the flash is still visible. Sk8rsdad, I will try your suggestion in the next few days and let you know if it works. Jay, the flash happens just as NickVon described his similar issue: in between loop and fade clips. ruinexplorer, I will also check the frame rate.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back