Qlab Controller Box FS

Hey CB! I have started making Qlab controller boxes that look like this: DSC01419.JPG DSC01398.JPG
More and better pictures here: Qlab Controller Box - Imgur

The enclosure for this one is grey, but the next one will be a translucent blue.
Mainly I am seeing what kind of interest there is for something like this. I have seen similar items but none with this configuration and this many functions.

This guy allows operators easy access to Qlab's most common playback functions including GO, STOP ALL, PAUSE/RESUME, as well as LAST, NEXT, and an "H" button as a dedicated hotkey. This controller is very useful when simultaneously running lights and sound or live mixing and running audio cues. Box is 5"x7"x2" with a 6.5ft USB cable for easy reach from a nearby computer running Qlab. Comes in handy for theatre companies with limited manpower or novice operators with itchy trigger fingers.

I am selling them for $150 each, let me know if you have questions or would like to buy one. Thanks CB!

Actually, is it basically a USB keyboard with the buttons activating the Qlab keystroke commands. The GO button sends a spacebar, STOP sends ESC, PAUSE sends a P, LAST is the up arrow, NEXT is down arrow, and H is well...H. On the back of the box, next to where the cable comes out there is also a button labeled ID which allows the USB keyboard interface installed in the box to be recognized by your Mac before use. This button literally sends the Z key (during the ID process it asks you to press the button to the right of the left shift key. This happens to be the Z key for the interface used.) This button can also be utilized as another hotkey trigger by assigning Z as the hotkey for whichever cue you are wanting to trigger. Thanks for your question!

I saw that! I actually bookmarked your page the other day and planned on contacting you this summer to try to emulate what you did. I do indeed want to make one that will work independent of where the focus is as well as incorporating cue status feedback. I just haven't gotten there yet. What I have created is a relatively simple controller that meets a specific need at a specific pricepoint. But if you are willing cpf, I would love to talk through what you did more to create my own version. I am just now getting into the world of arduino and this would make for a great summer project for me. Thanks for your input!

Another way to keep focus is to write a small applescript that is triggered at the top of your show. The way that I wrote mine was super efficient and only took .5 percent of system resources to keep qLab in focus. It basically disabled other application windows from becoming the focus application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back