Qlab controlling Expression 3

CBR372

Hey guys I was wondering is any of you had experience firing cues from Qlab. Basically I am new to time-code and MIDI so I'm looking for a step to step guide. I think I have figured it out on QLabs end by firing a MTC cue along side an audio track (Is that right?) but then I am lost.
I need to know what hardware I need and how to get the right settings on both the Qlab computer and the board. Thanks very much everyone!

Make sure MIDI is enabled on the board.

Buy a Midi To usb convertor if you don't have one. I recommend the M-Audio Uno.

Create a new MSC Cue and than specify the cue number you want it to fire, for all the other midi info it wants just put 1.

I do this all the time with my 48/96 but it will work the same.
First you're gonna need a USB to midi. Like they said the m audio stuff is nice but most USB to midi will cost you $30-$50. Honestly the one I bought off amazon for $5 works great. Link [URL='http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017H4EBG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1305861794&sr=8-1"]here[/URL]
Then you will need qlab to have a midi license. You can rent them for $3 a day ($1 if you're a school) or buy the permanent one for $250 ($200 if you're a school.)
When you get the license in a email just double click the file and it will instal.
Connect the "out" of the midi cable to the "in" on the console. I don't recommend connecting the out of the console though, I've had problems with the console firing cues in qlab.
Go into preferences and click msc on the left and link output 1 to your usb output.
Make sure midi is Turned on in the expression.
Then drop your msc cue in the play list. Set the cue number of the cue you want to fire in the console.
Also there is a drop down labeled "type" you might have to select "lighting (general)" ive also had problems with cues not firing because of it. Could have been another problem though.
Now all you have to do is fire the cue in qlab. note that no matter what cue you are in in the expression it will go to the cue number you put in.
Addison

so then how do I get the MSC Ques to follow on timecode? Do I just set autofollows the such? Basically I want to have a song in Qlab go and then light cues to follow at specified times in the song.

so then how do I get the MSC Ques to follow on timecode? Do I just set autofollows the such? Basically I want to have a song in Qlab go and then light cues to follow at specified times in the song.

Look at Page 297-310 of what Derek linked to. You'd set Qlab up to output the timecode on the MIDI line to the console. When the console receives the timecode, at certain points in the timecode the console triggers the cues as you've set them up at the times you've set them up for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back