Quality DMX Cable? (and Pin Connectors)

I regularly use and install TMB's DataPlex DMX cable. Its available in standard and plenum rated. Although for install use, in conduit is preferred. They also have an uprated version called ProPlex that is practically indestructable. Its excellent for rental and touring use. For a theatre, either grade would be an excellent choice, but if you have the budget, look at the ProPlex. Prebuilt, they are available with Amphenol or Neutrik connectors with footage marked in yellow and black bands with a shrink wrap on each end for your house label (ie your name). It comes in bulk spools of 1000ft for installation use.

For the stagepin connectors we have used both Rosco (bates style) and TMB's ProPins. I am extremely impressed with the ProPins. I have switched all my clients over to them. Van was mentioning the ferules, which ProPin does use, but i find they work very well without them installed if your using 12 gauge cabling. They are also the connector of choice for ETC's fabrication department.

I regularly use and install TMB's DataPlex DMX cable. Its available in standard and plenum rated. Although for install use, in conduit is preferred. They also have an uprated version called ProPlex that is practically indestructable. Its excellent for rental and touring use. For a theatre, either grade would be an excellent choice, but if you have the budget, look at the ProPlex. Prebuilt, they are available with Amphenol or Neutrik connectors with footage marked in yellow and black bands with a shrink wrap on each end for your house label (ie your name). It comes in bulk spools of 1000ft for installation use.
For the stagepin connectors we have used both Rosco (bates style) and TMB's ProPins. I am extremely impressed with the ProPins. I have switched all my clients over to them. Van was mentioning the ferules, which ProPin does use, but i find they work very well without them installed if your using 12 gauge cabling. They are also the connector of choice for ETC's fabrication department.

A quick search didn't turn up a website for TMB. Do they have one?

Gaff,

When I suggested the Lex connectors I forgot to mention they are the distributor for Bates connectors. :)

You can even get them with your name printed on them.

I always was installing Bates connectors whenever we got new connectors in. I do agree though that the ferrule is a flaw, and am interested in these ones from TMB.

For DMX, I would do Cat 6 in conduit in a heartbeat. I would also consider it for cables if they have a durable version available. Try for shielded if available. I would (obviously) also use this for any Ethernet runs as well. Neutrik recently came out with a Cat 6 Ethercon line, and for any regular 8P8C (RJ-45) terminated cables you'll have to make sure you get a fully standard compliant cable that will fit into the connectors.

Don't know much about scroller cable.

I'm thoroughly shamed by my incompetence. Thanks for the help though. I'll try to look harder next time.

It's ok Charc, you're underage anyway. Your first trade show over 21 and you'll know EXACTLY who TMB is. It's the only booth that comes with a bouncer.

It's ok Charc, you're underage anyway. Your first trade show over 21 and you'll know EXACTLY who TMB is. It's the only booth that comes with a bouncer.

Hmm, interesting. I wish some came around my way... do they? LDI is in orange county this year, right? Is it always in orange county?

Yeah it moves around... that's Orange County Florida... Orlando this year.

You should also keep an eye on where USITT is... you should also JOIN USITT.

LDI is a fun toy show. But USITT is the convention that is really designed for technicians to improve their craft... and it has a nice toy show that comes with it too... just a little smaller than LDI. USITT's in Houston next Spring.

LDI is a fun toy show. But USITT is the convention that is really designed for technicians to improve their craft... and it has a nice toy show that comes with it too... just a little smaller than LDI. USITT's in Houston next Spring.

I can join USITT? Good god, why didn't anyone tell me? Haha, I am looking up their website right now for more info.

By move around what gaff means to say is LDI moves back and forth from Orlando to Las Vegas. It also focus primarily on lighting and sound..with some rigging/building type stuff.

USITT covers the entirety of tech theatre including Costumes and Stage Managment.
I can join USITT? Good god, why didn't anyone tell me? Haha, I am looking up their website right now for more info.
Yes join USITT...there's a student discount and you can actually sign up to be a student volunteer at the shows which gets you in for a lot cheaper or free for just a little slave labor.
I suggest you do so..and do it now.

So bumping this old discussion of connectors back to the top. Crimp Lug vs. Pressure Plate. I'm writing the bid with installation of the connectors as an alternate. If I am installing them I want Pressure Plate. I figured I would write the bid to say that if the alternate of installation is chosen, the vendor may use either style of connector. Van previously expressed frustration with installing crimp lugs... however, does anyone feel like that one type of connector is inferior when it comes to safety and durability?

So bumping this old discussion of connectors back to the top. Crimp Lug vs. Pressure Plate. I'm writing the bid with installation of the connectors as an alternate. If I am installing them I want Pressure Plate. I figured I would write the bid to say that if the alternate of installation is chosen, the vendor may use either style of connector. Van previously expressed frustration with installing crimp lugs... however, does anyone feel like that one type of connector is inferior when it comes to safety and durability?

Are you talking DMX connectors? (I assume so since that is what the thread is) I always use solder connectors for my DMX cable, and I can't remember ever seeing crimp or pressure plate DMX connectors (which could be because I never looked past the solder type).

For DMX, I would do Cat 6 in conduit in a heartbeat. I would also consider it for cables if they have a durable version available. Try for shielded if available. I would (obviously) also use this for any Ethernet runs as well. Neutrik recently came out with a Cat 6 Ethercon line, and for any regular 8P8C (RJ-45) terminated cables you'll have to make sure you get a fully standard compliant cable that will fit into the connectors.
Don't know much about scroller cable.

I would respectfully disagree with running CAT5e or CAT6 for DMX use, even shielded, unless the control network will be switched from DMX to ethernet later on. Ethernet cable has much thinner insulation than DMX and its not designed to deal with signal crosstalk since ethernet signals are sent in packets. They are both paired cables, but built to different specifications.

I know there is a huge debate right now as to the fact that the better grades of CAT5e and CAT6 will handle it fine, but IMO its just not worth the risk of a compromised signal, especially on an install.

I'm pretty sure Gaff is referring to a different thread, let me see if I can locate it...

Edit: Page one of this thread, he posses multiple questions.

Sorry. Let me clarify. I'm going back to follow up on my hijack of my own thread and referring to GSP connectors in Pressure Plate vs. Crimp Lug.

My question now is does anyone feel there is a safety benefit to one style over the other. If I'm paying the vendor to put GSP connectors on all my instruments, should I care which style of internal connection they use?

Sorry. Let me clarify. I'm going back to follow up on my hijack of my own thread and referring to GSP connectors in Pressure Plate vs. Crimp Lug.
My question now is does anyone feel there is a safety benefit to one style over the other. If I'm paying the vendor to put GSP connectors on all my instruments, should I care which style of internal connection they use?

I have to say, I don't much care. I don't think in the long run it makes much difference. I'm partial to the wire shoe screw crimp style for when _I_ need to install them. I don't like pressure plates that much, and I certainly don't like having to crimp on rings and then screw the terminals.

But, to each his own. For the size venue you're dealing with, I don't think you should worry about it.

Incidently, to slightly hijack the thread, where did you (or anyone else) pick up "GSP"? The only abbreviation I've ever used is 2P&G, and it's the only one I've noticed in product literature.

--Sean

I have to say, I don't much care. I don't think in the long run it makes much difference. I'm partial to the wire shoe screw crimp style for when _I_ need to install them. I don't like pressure plates that much, and I certainly don't like having to crimp on rings and then screw the terminals.
But, to each his own. For the size venue you're dealing with, I don't think you should worry about it.
Incidently, to slightly hijack the thread, where did you (or anyone else) pick up "GSP"? The only abbreviation I've ever used is 2P&G, and it's the only one I've noticed in product literature.
--Sean

I believe they were originally called General Stage Pin connectors by somebody. I don't know where I learned it that way and I didn't realize I was the only one around here saying it that way. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Van do you guys say GSP down there in the land of many bridges?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back