Quality Lighting

LRM

I joined the forum as I am researching how to put together a versatile and high quality set of lights primarily for relatively small to medium concerts- think 50 to 300 people. I want to focus on LED lights but also want to avoid ones that will go dim right away. I was thinking pars for front lighting , wash lighting in the back, and perhaps a couple of movers (not sure if those are really important for what we are doing). Please forgive any incorrect terminology, as I am new to lighting. I would appreciate pointers as to what type of LED brands are high quality as well as any advice if I should take away or add to what I already listed.

I think the two I see recommended the most for this application are the Chauvet Ovation E-910FC and the ETC Color Source Spot. You didn't give a budget, so I recomended these because, generally, they are a middle budget fixture. However, if they are too pricey you might have a hard time getting fixtures that dim to zero nicely.

Welcome to Control Booth

If starting fresh LED is certainly the way to go. Not the cheapest but overall best.

I suggest you hire someone to not only help you sort out which lights to get, but what to do with them when you get them. Lighting Design is a complex job, part engineering and part art. There are many further questions that will arrive, such as power control and distribution, console type, house hang or full build for every show. Lights are bought to do a job and each does some parts better than others. You have a huge task that will effect operations for years to come. Spending a bit more now will avoid major costs later.

If starting fresh LED is certainly the way to go. Not the cheapest but overall best.

I suggest you hire someone to not only help you sort out which lights to get, but what to do with them when you get them. Lighting Design is a complex job, part engineering and part art. There are many further questions that will arrive, such as power control and distribution, console type, house hang or full build for every show. Lights are bought to do a job and each does some parts better than others. You have a huge task that will effect operations for years to come. Spending a bit more now will avoid major costs later.

I definitely agree that it is neither wise nor safe to work with lighting without training and experience.

I am going to start shadowing/helping out with someone who does the lighting for a mega church. That way, I can begin to develop a frame of reference, an understanding of lighting.

For LEDs, at this time, and my opinion may change, but I think going with ETC seems to be a wise choice.

If you have the money always go ETC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back