Split gels in the era of LED's???

RonHebbard

Premium Member
Departed Member
Decades ago, before I crawled into my cave, diagonally split or double diagonally split (quartered) gels used to be commonly employed with gobo's in ellipsoidals; often with leaf breakups for a sunlight or moonlight through the trees look. How are similar looks being achieved in this era of LED sources and the demise of gels??
@GreyWyvern @DELO72 @Ford @derekleffew @anybody Care to comment?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Not a clue. The photonic energy of LEDs completely washes out Gel (bleaches it in minutes sometimes), so you'd almost have to have a split dichroic glass made up. The people to ask are the folks at Rosco or Lee. If anyone would know, they would. Try Anne Hunter at Rosco.

You could put that color in the gate in many LEDs.
@BillConnerFASTC In the gate using gel, or glass or? Would I still be able to achieve the variety of edge finesse that's always been possible by various combinations of running slightly out of focus and / or adding donuts of various apertures; I'm suspecting so; if not, why not?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Not a clue. The photonic energy of LEDs completely washes out Gel (bleaches it in minutes sometimes), so you'd almost have to have a split dichroic glass made up. The people to ask are the folks at Rosco or Lee. If anyone would know, they would. Try Anne Hunter at Rosco.
@DELO72 Mark; do you have an e-address for Ms. Hunter that you're free to disclose? I don't do Linked In, Facebook or Twitter.
TIA and Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Out of curiosity, I have made full-color prints on acetate (overhead projector transparency paper from OfficeMax), stuck em in a Chauvet Ovation 910fc, set to full white. Even saturated colors worked fine, after 24 hours the transparency was slightly wavy but still looked fine. I actually used these a couple of times when a client waited too long to order a gobo. It's not as good as a real printed gobo from Apollo or Rosco, but it works better than I thought it would. I 've never had a need to put get in front of an LED Leko, with the exception of 132 or 119, but I don't see why printing a gradient between colors would not work fine, either in the gobo holder or gel frame.

Out of curiosity, I have made full-color prints on acetate (overhead projector transparency paper from OfficeMax), stuck em in a Chauvet Ovation 910fc, set to full white. Even saturated colors worked fine, after 24 hours the transparency was slightly wavy but still looked fine. I actually used these a couple of times when a client waited too long to order a gobo. It's not as good as a real printed gobo from Apollo or Rosco, but it works better than I thought it would. I 've never had a need to put get in front of an LED Leko, with the exception of 132 or 119, but I don't see why printing a gradient between colors would not work fine, either in the gobo holder or gel frame.
@DavidJones Are you printing images or breakups? Diagonally split and / or dual diagonally split gels in the gel holders typically only come into their own with breakups often silhouetting leafy trees against the sun or moon or occasionally with flame or medium breakups for various fire looks. I'd be interested in knowing how your technique would work and stand up where a traditional etched metal breakup gobo would normally be employed coupled with split gels in the color frame position. Thanks for your post.
@GreyWyvern @Pie4Weebl @derekleffew @Ford @Anyone; care to comment? @DELO72 Thanks for your suggestion and e-address. I sent an e-mail and promptly received an automatic reply as Ms. Hunter was out of her office for a 3 day weekend. I suspect I'll receive Ms. Hunter's reply in a few days and I'll include it here if useful / of interest.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Until the fixture manufacturers allow you to have segmented control of the array

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This fixture is still at an intensity that it serves more as a visual effect product than a key light, but we're getting there. Gobos in this are awesome

"You use a leko." :)

Nobody ever said you *couldn't* still use tungsten fixtures.

Though they will start succumbing (some say already have, but I haven't even seen a price increase on HPL lamps yet) to a syndrome I haven't named: the one that made 35mm IR film zoom in price because 35mm C41 wasn't a consumer product anymore, and made dry copper pairs unorderable (hell: unkeepable) because LECs were trying to get out of the copper business, etc, etc, ad damned nauseum.

I do need to name this. Backside Inflation? (When your product is on the back side of the pricing S-curve...)

FM is correct.

Izenour talked about this in the 1950s, when all there was for video projection was the Eidophor - which were around $600,000 each when on a project of mine in the late1980's. His idea was several of these conceptual lighting fixtures - I know he had color and masking or shuttercuts in mind, not sure if patterns or moving images were talked about - from more or less each angle one fixture or more - being able to replace many. LED is kind of doing that today as are video projectors in a few theatres. Doesn't quite seem ready to me but maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back