Question about using DMX interface for control via laptop

Hi Controlbooth community!!

I wanted to post a question here to see if anyone had any knowledge about what I am trying to accomplish here. Our setup is 2 ENR 96 dimmers with all incandescent fixtures and current control via a Melange Pro by NSI(We also have the Viewpoint system with 2 entry stations and LCD panel). What I wanted to do was control the lights using a laptop by purchasing a dmx-usb interface. However, upon reading some other posts regarding ENR 96 racks, it seems as if they use CMX. On the other hand, up in our tech booth we have a 5 pin output from the wall that is plugged directly into the Melange. My question is does this mean that the ENR 96 racks are supplying a DMX signal that I could use? And does anyone think it would work if plugged the dmx cable into the interface.

Thanks for all your help, the Melange is a little limited in it's control and I was looking for a little easier/modern control system with more possibilities.

StageGuy5145

Reading the Melange Pro specs, it will only output DMX on the 5-pin and NSI Multiplex on the 3-pin connectors. Thus DMX is being sent to the ENR dimmers, which can take both CMX or DMX. So any control system that generates DMX should work with the system. Note that your control device is what generates or transmits the DMX signal, the dimmers do not "supply a DMX signal", they receive it, so your wall plate is a DMX input to the dimmers, not an output.

Looks like @microstar has it handled, but I'll leave my reply anyway.

I have worked with unmodified ENR racks that were DMX, and usually MPX is 3-pin if I'm remembering correctly. I have only worked with a Melange once, about ten years ago, and I didn't get in to anything deeper than cue recording. However, there should be a Settings menu that will tell you what the output signal is. The back of the console may tell you as well. The protocol is usually screen-printed where the signal cable plugs in.

Thanks for the help and clarification! This is great news to me as our facility is in need of some upgrades, so it is good to know that if we ever get some LEDs we should be able to still use the ENRs for House lighting!

Thanks for all your help guys... Been working with this equipment for a long time but have never knew that they supported the protocol!

Whenever you get some LED fixtures and need to convert a few circuits to constant AC , Steve Short at Lite-trol can convert ENR dimmer modules to non-dims at reasonable cost! He can also repair your control modules and Viewpoint stuff quickly.

Or do you mean LED lamps in old fixtures?

Search a bit here to find the many threads on trying to dim 'dimmable ' lamps.

Hi Controlbooth community!!

I wanted to post a question here to see if anyone had any knowledge about what I am trying to accomplish here. Our setup is 2 ENR 96 dimmers with all incandescent fixtures and current control via a Melange Pro by NSI(We also have the Viewpoint system with 2 entry stations and LCD panel). What I wanted to do was control the lights using a laptop by purchasing a dmx-usb interface. However, upon reading some other posts regarding ENR 96 racks, it seems as if they use CMX. On the other hand, up in our tech booth we have a 5 pin output from the wall that is plugged directly into the Melange. My question is does this mean that the ENR 96 racks are supplying a DMX signal that I could use? And does anyone think it would work if plugged the dmx cable into the interface.

Thanks for all your help, the Melange is a little limited in it's control and I was looking for a little easier/modern control system with more possibilities.

StageGuy5145

The Colortran ENR Dimmer Racks are capable of receiving either CMX or DMX. The key is to hit the reset button after the DMX has been applied to the ENR Dimmer Rack. This will cause the system to use DMX input. For more information, please contact me at www.goknight.com. Thank you. Mark A. Knight

Thanks for the extra help Mark! Luckily the system is currently being upgraded so the ENR 96's and the Melange are no more. I have to say though for being from 1994 and 2010 were they both served us well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back