Question on I-cue

ndiaz

Ok, in May I will be going back to the JHS to run / teach lights.
In the HS we have 8-9 I-cues and I would like to use 2 in the JHS. Now I don't think that we could spend alot on the controller, but I would love to use them and hopefully draw a bigger croud. Now the q, What would be the cheapest way to do this, It could just be manual contol, because thats all they have.

What kind of lighting console does this school have?

If it is a memory control DMX console, just patch them in and use their console.

If not, why not borrow the HS console? Will the high school need it at that time?

I would suggest not running them manually, since it would be difficult to get the fine-touch you would want running them off a 2 scene preset type console.

Hmm, They have this, http://www.dovesystems.com/index.ph...794b7790fa9409422c407b9da3&option=com_phpshop . So no patching in. And my HS has ETC controls so that would be impossible. the JHS already has to change each scene manually, so i dont think that an Icue would be that hard.

Its harder then it looks. First that controller in no way can control the i-cues, also as far as I know there is no "manual" control of the icues, though meteor does make a stick "controller" for the ellipscan. You are going to have to get some type of DMX console in there. An entec running there free software will probably do just about anything you would want for just those two fixtures.

I know that you cant run the Icues from that bord, so that's why I wanted to know if there is a cheep option to just run the lights during a show.

The entec will do what you want, so will just about any PC based controller. Do some searches on here... that should lead you were you need to be.

http://www.bulbamerica.com/products/15209

As long as you can get an I-Cue (scroller type) power supply, 4-pin cables, and some DMX cable to get from the controller to the Power Supply unit all from the high school, and you get a cheap 3 pin to 5 pin DMX adapter, you should be able to easily hook this up, and still maintain all of your other control channels for physical fixtures, and not waste them on controlling the I-Cues.

Cheap, 30 pages of 8 scenes (aka you CAN program scenes for the I-Cues!) for under $100. Far from high quality, but much closer to your budget, and probably about the cost of any other solution. Having this would also allow you to control any other DMX lighting added to the system in the future.

MFX Control Adaptor

The MFX Control Adapter is designed for people who prefer inexpensive, non-DMX control for their Motion Effects Units, or Double and Single Gobo Rotators. The adapter receives actual voltage from a dimmer and converts it to a control signal, allowing the motion effect to be controlled directly by a dimmer, without using the DC/DMX Controller.

The MFX Control Adapter will allow for variable speed, forward control only

How about this? It's the last product on my rosco link. It sounds like it would use 2 regular dimmer channels.

Last edited:
But that uses dimmer channels...unless you have 4 spare dimmer channels on the board, I'd stick with the separate DMX control idea.

Yea, I think chnnel assignment might be hard, but it will be worth it. now what does it mean when it says "forward control only"?

It is designed for Gobo Rotators, so it only gives the forward commands at variable speeds for them. Not sure how this would relate to I-Cues, but it might limit your positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back